Cayman Register
New Thread
Go Back   Cayman Register Forums > Site Management > News Items (Public)

Notices

News Items (Public) Items in this forum will display on the front page of the Cayman Regiser. Only moderators can post new topics here. All members are welcome and encouraged to reply. The contents of this forum are public and viewable by unregistered visitors.

Post #1 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 04-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Cayman Register Advocate
Cayman Register Administrator
9,000 post club

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 61
Garage
Welcome 718 Owners

Welcome 718 Owners . . .

The 718 Caymans are starting to roll out of the dealerships and into the wild. That means we'll be seeing some new owners out there looking to connect with like minded enthusiasts. On behalf of the PCA Cayman Register, I want to personally extend a warm welcome to all 718 owners. You have come the right place.

I am very proud to say that we do not support MMSC here. MMSC stands for My Model Superiority Complex. All of us Cayman Owners are familiar with MMSC. It's a big part of why this place exists, because back in 2005 when the Cayman was announced many Porsche owners criticized and dismissed it. That brought us all together and created the community that you find here. Since beez, Santa Fe and I started this place in 2009, we've made a conscious effort to be fair and welcoming to all Porsche owners. We love our Caymans, but we refuse to treat other Porsche owners the way we were treated back in 2005. In retrospect, time has proven that the Cayman model is a formidable and unique sports car. Attend any PCA DE and will see for yourself. For a model that's just entered it's 11th production year, Caymans virtually dominate PCA track events.

When Porsche announced the 718 Boxster and Cayman, I felt a dose of Deja-vu coming on. Motorsport media and automotive forums across the internet started criticizing the new model before ever seeing or driving one. I must admit that even I had some concerns. It's not always easy to embrace change. But in time I suspect that we will be looking back at the 718s the same way we look back at the 987s today. I suspect the cars will quickly earn respect and define themselves as pure sports cars.

We've got 12 registered 718 owners as of right now. If you'd like to connect with them, feel free to use our Member List. You'll see model search links across the top. Click the particular model that you want to search for and you'll be provided with a list of owners who have that model.

If you're a 718 owner, please jump into the conversations. Introduce yourself and share some pictures of your new baby. We are all very curious about the 718s and we look forward to learning more about them.

Scroll Up!
  Post #2 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 04-22-2017, 06:23 PM
1,000 post club

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Garage
Re: Welcome 718 Owners

Welcome indeed. And with Spring upon us, there is no better time to discover lightly traveled, twisty roads to drive your new Baby. Wonderful cars indeed. Drive safe. Ed
Scroll Up!
  Post #3 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 04-22-2017, 07:59 PM

Downloads: 0
Garage

Ahh yes, welcome 718 owners indeed!! I've probably experienced more model changes and introductions than most. At the end of the day the pundits have repeatedly been proven wrong. The 914 was described as not really a Porsche. Then the front engine cars were not true to the marque. An SUV...yikes! And a 4 door sedan??? Water cooled 911's...oh my. The uniqueness of the brand has attracted us all...no matter what model you choose to enjoy. Looking forward to 718 owners participating here. Happy motoring!
Scroll Up!
  Post #4 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 04-22-2017, 10:06 PM
Cayman Register Advocate
Cayman Register Administrator
9,000 post club

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 61
Garage

I got started in the Porsche world with a 944 Turbo. Water Cooled...!? Front Engine...!? 4 cylinder...!?

I have so many fond memories of that car... I've heard all of the insults, but it doesn't matter. I enjoyed that car so much. My only regret about that car was selling it.
Scroll Up!
  Post #5 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 04-23-2017, 01:34 AM
Open-top Cayman Owner
1,000 post club

Downloads: 21
Garage

And, if you read my signature, you'll note that I started out with a 4-cyl, water-cooled, front-engine, normally-aspirated Porsche. with a natural progression up thru the ranks to my present-day Boxster and Cayenne. In the first few years I also helped "crew" on a 914 E-Prod racecar while driving a vintage '65 Formula Vee myself. I don't own a Cayman myself, but was able to drive a 981 GTS model last year at the Atlanta Experience Center, and was quite impressed with its performance and handling. I'm sure that the new 718s will more than meet the expectations of all PORSCHE FANatics.
Scroll Up!
  Post #6 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 04-23-2017, 07:20 PM
2013 981 Boxster

Downloads: 2

I too started with 4 cylinders, a '73 914 2.0 bought in October '72, sold August '96, after starting DEs and many AX wins, now in a collectors garage, but still in Virginia. According to the owner's manual it had 91 hp SAE, though the 95 DIN is often quoted, from 2 liters.

I am also anxious to welcome the 718 owners and get some reassurance that the 300 hp Porsche is now getting from the same 2 liter displacement has proven to be reliable.
Scroll Up!
  Post #7 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 04-23-2017, 09:37 PM
Don C

Downloads: 15
Garage

Yes welcome !

I drove a 718S Cayman at LAPEC and can say that it is an impressive ride.
And to all those folks that have been carping about our NA 6's, whatever, I am reminded of a line from the original movie "Gum Ball Rally".
The scene is in the garage awaiting the start, when the hired Italian race car driver rips off the rearview mirror from the (beautiful) Ferrari. The owner of the Ferrari gasps in disbelief: " What did you do that for ??"
The Italian racer replies, "...What is behind you does not matter!"

food for thought!!
D
Scroll Up!
  Post #8 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 04-24-2017, 06:56 AM

Downloads: 1

Welcome 718 owners! My first Porsche was a 1986 944 - a great car and really fun to drive. My brother-in-law had a 912 and a 914. All of these were 4-cylinder cars. While I love driving my 2014 Cayman, I plan to order a new Cayman in 2018. I recently drove a 718 and it was a great experience!
Scroll Up!
  Post #9 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 04-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Cayman Register Moderator
1,000 post club

Downloads: 26
Garage

As one who started climbing his own personal Porsche "ladder" with a high-mileage 1987 944, I can well remember the grief I received from those who believed the only "real" Porsches had 6 cylinder, air-cooled engines residing behind the rear axle. I can only pity them for denying themselves the joys of owning and driving such a wonderfully balanced machine.

Every generation of Porsche model represents the sum total of all the lessons learned from the previous generation(s,) and expands upon them. The 718 will undoubtedly continue this trend from its 986/987/981 lineage. I look forward to reading about the various experiences from 718 owners as their numbers continue to increase. Welcome aboard!
Scroll Up!
  Post #10 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 04-24-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croc'ed View Post
As one who started climbing his own personal Porsche "ladder" with a high-mileage 1987 944, I can well remember the grief I received from those who believed the only "real" Porsches had 6 cylinder, air-cooled engines residing behind the rear axle. I can only pity them for denying themselves the joys of owning and driving such a wonderfully balanced machine.
You think you had it bad. I had a 924. 944 owners wouldn't even speak to me.
Scroll Up!
  Post #11 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 04-24-2017, 02:38 PM
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
Cayman Register Moderator
1,000 post club

Downloads: 16
Garage

I've have an Audi A4 1.8T and a 944S2 in my automotive past, so I have no "stigma" about 4-cylinder engines, turbo or otherwise. That said, I do understand the derision some 944 owners have faced. I didn't care too much, but I do understand it.

I can also say I have driven a 718 Cayman S here locally for fun, and a base 718 Cayman at the PEC Atlanta in anger, and I can tell you in my opinion both cars are completely bad-a%$ and more than worthy successors to the Cayman name.
Scroll Up!
  Post #12 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 05-06-2017, 05:06 PM
2013 981 Boxster

Downloads: 2

Surprising to me that there have been no responses from their owners to this 718 Welcome. How many 718 owners are members of the register?

My grandson and I split our time at the Porsche Driving Experience Atlanta on 5/2 in the base 718 Cayman and Boxster, 45 minutes in each. Contrary to some of the reviews I noticed no turbo lag and found the exhaust sound on track to be fine to my, not too finely tuned, geezer ears. I thought they compared very favorably with my current '13 981 base Boxster and former '06 CS, definitely faster than both.

Looking forward to hearing from 718 owners experiences with these cars.
Scroll Up!
  Post #13 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 05-06-2017, 07:06 PM
Open-top Cayman Owner
1,000 post club

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazin View Post
How many 718 owners are members of the register?
According to the Community *Members List*, there are a total of 15 so far - 7 with base model, 8 with S model.
Scroll Up!
  Post #14 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 05-06-2017, 09:53 PM

Hello:

PECATL #220'delivery of 718 Cayman 2 March. So far 1200 miles in (800 of those driving home from Atlanta) and still in break in. Guards red, 18 inch boxster wheels, full leather, sports seats, model delete, 6 speed, connect, Bose, auto wiper, mirrors, heated, ventilated seats, sport tailpipe, sport steering wheel, etc. kept the price in budget @62 and change. Still learning about the nuisances but very happy so far. First Porsche. More to come.
Scroll Up!
  Post #15 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 05-06-2017, 11:25 PM
Open-top Cayman Owner
1,000 post club

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozflat4 View Post
Still learning about the nuisances but very happy so far.
nuisances?? or nuances??
Scroll Up!
  Post #16 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 05-07-2017, 07:19 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozflat4 View Post
Hello:

PECATL #220'delivery of 718 Cayman 2 March. So far 1200 miles in (800 of those driving home from Atlanta) and still in break in. Guards red, 18 inch boxster wheels, full leather, sports seats, model delete, 6 speed, connect, Bose, auto wiper, mirrors, heated, ventilated seats, sport tailpipe, sport steering wheel, etc. kept the price in budget @62 and change. Still learning about the nuisances but very happy so far. First Porsche. More to come.
Sounds like a sweet ride and guards red to boot. Have fun, be safe. Happy motoring.
Scroll Up!
  Post #17 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 05-07-2017, 04:20 PM

Garage

Guards Red FTW!!!
Scroll Up!
  Post #18 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 05-07-2017, 08:32 PM

Nuances
Scroll Up!