Cayman Register
New Thread
Go Back   Cayman Register Forums > Site Management > News Items (Public)

Notices

News Items (Public) Items in this forum will display on the front page of the Cayman Regiser. Only moderators can post new topics here. All members are welcome and encouraged to reply. The contents of this forum are public and viewable by unregistered visitors.

Post #21 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 06-01-2017, 08:04 PM

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Re: Welcome 718 Owners

Welcome!

I am a total mid-engined guy.

I cannot wait to see a 718 where I live and on the road.
Scroll Up!
  Post #22 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 06-02-2017, 09:10 AM
Cayman Register Advocate
Cayman Register Administrator
9,000 post club

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 61
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFike View Post
Long time Porsche owner, first Cayman. Just picked up a new 718 on Friday. So far, so good!
Congratulations on your new ride... Enjoy...!
Scroll Up!
  Post #23 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 06-28-2017, 12:20 PM

Downloads: 0

I am a proud 718 Cayman S owner. So far ~ 2400 miles and I love my GT Silver beauty. The 718 is an incredible car with transcendent handling and more HP and torque than Porsche quotes...
Scroll Up!
  Post #24 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 06-28-2017, 12:21 PM

Click the image to open in full size.
Scroll Up!
  Post #25 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 06-28-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist06 View Post
I am a proud 718 Cayman S owner. So far ~ 2400 miles and I love my GT Silver beauty. The 718 is an incredible car with transcendent handling and more HP and torque than Porsche quotes...
Just one question, if anyone could provide some insight on winter wheels and tire options for the 718, it would be greatly appreciated. I live in the NE (Philly metro area) and I want to use the car all year...
Scroll Up!
  Post #26 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 06-28-2017, 10:34 PM

Downloads: 1

Picked up my base red with 20" wheels on 6/17/17. Love the torque and PDK. Still less than 400 miles. I have to keep it in sport mode to keep the revs up. Should I only use manual mode to keep the revs up? I have a 2000 Boxster S and I always keep it at or above 2500 RPM.
Scroll Up!
  Post #27 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 06-28-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednotsilver View Post
Picked up my base red with 20" wheels on 6/17/17. Love the torque and PDK. Still less than 400 miles. I have to keep it in sport mode to keep the revs up. Should I only use manual mode to keep the revs up? I have a 2000 Boxster S and I always keep it at or above 2500 RPM.
I too drive my 718S PDK in sport mode a lot of the time. I have found that with sport off, my car seems to upshift to a gear that lugs the engine. On freeway drives at 65 or higher I take it out of sport and enjoy the fuel saving.
Scroll Up!
  Post #28 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 06-30-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist06 View Post
Just one question, if anyone could provide some insight on winter wheels and tire options for the 718, it would be greatly appreciated. I live in the NE (Philly metro area) and I want to use the car all year...
It appears to me from the TireRack site that the 718s take the same size as the 981 models. I've been checking winter tire options for my 2013 and haven't come up with anything very appealing. There are not many 18 inch wheels in the stock sizes available at a decent price. On two prior Boxsters and one prior 911 I was able to find reasonably priced stock wheels of the smallest size. I don't want anything new or even nice to use for snow tires. I believe the 18 inch wheels for a 987 will fit on a 981 or 718 even though they have a different offset on the back. If that is true, it opens up more options for wheels and snow tires. I just need to take the wheels off my wife's 987 Cayman and try them on the 981 Boxster. I told her last night that it makes more sense to just drive the Cayman in the winter and didn't get a negative reaction, so I may just do that.
Scroll Up!
  Post #29 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 07-05-2017, 11:40 AM

I am a returning Cayman owner and reasonably active CaymanRegister member until I traded my 2009 Cayman on a Macan S. Didn't regret itbut came back from a vacation in Germany last month and found myself at thedealer. Here's the article in this week's PCA e-Brake for background...

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/con...ogy-automotive

Aftertwo years in the Macan, I ended up in a 2017 Black over Black 718 Cayman withPDK, 14-way seats and not a whole lot else (much like my manual 2009). I thinkI have a unique perspective in having owned two different generations - onewith a gloriously throaty FABSPEED induced sound to a buzzier flat-four that isfar more refined and a lot faster. Different - like two unique kids from the same parents.

Anyway,thanks for having me back...
Scroll Up!
  Post #30 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 07-05-2017, 03:51 PM
The Caymanator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpcompt View Post
I too drive my 718S PDK in sport mode a lot of the time. I have found that with sport off, my car seems to upshift to a gear that lugs the engine. On freeway drives at 65 or higher I take it out of sport and enjoy the fuel saving.

I traded my 987 Cayman on a 718 Boxster S with PDK (which is why I am rarely on here anymore), but I concur on the frequent use of Sport mode. For me it's about 80% of the time. Yes, if you floor it in normal mode, you can get the revs up, but the shift points (and the sound) are much higher rpm in Sport mode. I'll put it in normal (Lexus) mode on a flat road with moderate traffic. I rarely use auto start-stop, but the "coast" feature, which is a bit annoying, dies reduce fuel consumption.
Scroll Up!
  Post #31 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 07-10-2017, 01:07 PM

Picked up my New Cayman on June 10th. Ordered in January. Lava Orange, Graphite Blue Interior, 6 speed. 14 way seats . Had a 1999 Coupe sold in December. currently have a 1986 944, 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider. 1964 Morgan Plus 4.
Live outside of Westminster, Maryland.
Scroll Up!
  Post #32 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 07-10-2017, 02:06 PM
Cayman Register Moderator
1,000 post club

Downloads: 26
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardbradley View Post
Picked up my New Cayman on June 10th. Ordered in January. Lava Orange, Graphite Blue Interior, 6 speed. 14 way seats . Had a 1999 Coupe sold in December. currently have a 1986 944, 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider. 1964 Morgan Plus 4.
Live outside of Westminster, Maryland.
Orange over blue...are you a NY Mets fan, perchance? Just kidding! Please post photos so we can view this color combination online, and enjoy your new Cayman!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Scroll Up!
  Post #33 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 07-10-2017, 05:04 PM

i tried to post pictures, but site says they are too big? limited to 1000
will try to adjust camera tonight
Ed
Scroll Up!
  Post #34 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 07-11-2017, 11:05 AM

Posted some pics in the public photo album. Was not able to post them on this thread. Need some help. Thank you.
Ed
Scroll Up!
  Post #35 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 07-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
Cayman Register Moderator
1,000 post club

Downloads: 17
Garage

Quote:
Posted some pics in the public photo album. Was not able to post them on this thread. Need some help. Thank you.
Ed
Looks good! I've always liked orange on a Porsche.
Scroll Up!
  Post #36 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 07-11-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Ed
Your interior looks great
Scroll Up!
  Post #37 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 07-14-2017, 12:01 PM

How do you turn off the auto start-stop for good? There are 3 traffic lights in the county I live in so I don't spend a lot of time waiting for lights. I think I will put a "post it" on the speedometer telling me to put it in SPORT after start up. My Stingray/Callaway starts in the mode I shut it off in. When I start a car I let it idle at least a few seconds before driving to get the oil pressure up. In my 500 miles so far I find it fustrating to think it is going to go and instead I hear the starter. This 718 is the newest in my 5 car collection so I drive it once every 2 or 3 weeks. The auto start-stop should be an option, not something I had to pay for that I'd be glad to pay someone to eliminate. If you don't use auto start-stop can you go to a smaller/lighter battery at battery replacement time?
Scroll Up!
  Post #38 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 07-14-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
How do you turn off the auto start-stop for good? There are 3 traffic lights in the county I live in so I don't spend a lot of time waiting for lights. I think I will put a "post it" on the speedometer telling me to put it in SPORT after start up. My Stingray/Callaway starts in the mode I shut it off in. When I start a car I let it idle at least a few seconds before driving to get the oil pressure up. In my 500 miles so far I find it fustrating to think it is going to go and instead I hear the starter. This 718 is the newest in my 5 car collection so I drive it once every 2 or 3 weeks. The auto start-stop should be an option, not something I had to pay for that I'd be glad to pay someone to eliminate. If you don't use auto start-stop can you go to a smaller/lighter battery at battery replacement time?
On my 2016, once off, it's off until you turn it on, which for me is never.
Scroll Up!
  Post #39 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 07-14-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
The default start-stop on position is a compromise for Porsche getting good mpg numbers . Believe or not there will be consumers who will complain that their car isn't getting the Fed's numbers even though they never drive with start-stop on. I just drive in sport most of the time and still get decent mileage unless I drive fast. It's just a result of the Feds running the show. My previous car, a MINI S auto exceeded the Fed's mpg ratings and I never had start-stop on ( a '15 model that didn't default to start-stop everytime you started the car ).
Scroll Up!
  Post #40 (URL for Single or Threaded post)  
Old 07-27-2017, 12:53 PM

Re: Welcome 718 Owners, Cayman window decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Bite View Post
Welcome 718 Owners . . .

The 718 Caymans are starting to roll out of the dealerships and into the wild. That means we'll be seeing some new owners out there looking to connect with like minded enthusiasts. On behalf of the PCA Cayman Register, I want to personally extend a warm welcome to all 718 owners. You have come the right place.

I am very proud to say that we do not support MMSC here. MMSC stands for My Model Superiority Complex. All of us Cayman Owners are familiar with MMSC. It's a big part of why this place exists, because back in 2005 when the Cayman was announced many Porsche owners criticized and dismissed it. That brought us all together and created the community that you find here. Since beez, Santa Fe and I started this place in 2009, we've made a conscious effort to be fair and welcoming to all Porsche owners. We love our Caymans, but we refuse to treat other Porsche owners the way we were treated back in 2005. In retrospect, time has proven that the Cayman model is a formidable and unique sports car. Attend any PCA DE and will see for yourself. For a model that's just entered it's 11th production year, Caymans virtually dominate PCA track events.

When Porsche announced the 718 Boxster and Cayman, I felt a dose of Deja-vu coming on. Motorsport media and automotive forums across the internet started criticizing the new model before ever seeing or driving one. I must admit that even I had some concerns. It's not always easy to embrace change. But in time I suspect that we will be looking back at the 718s the same way we look back at the 987s today. I suspect the cars will quickly earn respect and define themselves as pure sports cars.

We've got 12 registered 718 owners as of right now. If you'd like to connect with them, feel free to use our Member List. You'll see model search links across the top. Click the particular model that you want to search for and you'll be provided with a list of owners who have that model.

If you're a 718 owner, please jump into the conversations. Introduce yourself and share some pictures of your new baby. We are all very curious about the 718s and we look forward to learning more about them.

Where could I purchase a Cayman Register window decal?
Scroll Up!