PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving ... Chance to Win

ApexL8
11-23-2011, 01:16 PM
http://caymanregister.org/images/ArticleImages/rewards/DVD_IMG_1284.pngHappy Thanksgiving . . .

Dear Cayman Register Members,

It's time for Thanksgiving. Let's dissect that word; thanks -- giving. It seems the end of the year, the holidays, often become a blur. We don't always take the time to just give a simple thanks, so let's change that.

We've scraped up a small supply of Cayman DVD Box Sets and we'd like to share them with you, as a thank you for everything you've done this year to support this community.

Please Reply to this post, give it a shot, any expression and you'll be automatically entered among those to be chosen randomly to receive the gift of an Official Porsche Cayman DVD from your friends at the PCA Cayman Register. It can be an essay, borderline short story, or even just a sentence or two. Feel free to upload pictures to share with everyone. Here are some example topics:

Why I like my Cayman
How my Cayman fits me and my lifestyle
A memorable PCA event I attended this year
Quality time with my Cayman - scenic drive, road trip alone or with friends, even an oil change
The Cayman Register, of course, found some information, participated in a lively exchange or what you value about it
Your decision to get a Cayman must have affected you in some way, led to good times with friends and family, helped you to meet new people, or just the joy of ownership. Dig down and find something from 2011 that's worth being grateful for. It's not a competition, just a chance to spread some happiness around.

Please submit your reply by 12/07/2011 to be considered for the DVD drawing. We'll close this thread and post the list of winners here on 12/08/2011.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Chuck, Brad & Mike, your Cayman Register Team

Croc'ed
11-23-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm thankful for all of the friends I've made since buying my Cayman, registering it, and getting involved with this web-based community. I've attended numerous driving, technical and social events, at which I've met quite a network of great folks from varied backgrounds. Rather amazing, when I think about us all being brought together by a mutual passion for a single car model. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Gator Bite
11-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Like Dave, I am thankfull for the many friends I've made. It sounds a little hokey that buying a car can affect someone's life so much. But I can honestly say that I have made some great friends, from all over the country, through that shared passion.

Speedy
11-23-2011, 04:29 PM
I have a copy of this DVD, so I'll keep things short and say I am thankful for how lucky I am for many things, including being able to own and enjoy my Cayman, the many friends I've made from this site, and all I've learned about the car while I'm at it.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

nedflemming
11-23-2011, 05:03 PM
As a 20 year PCA member, the Cayman is my 8th Porsche, I must say that I have enjoyed this car, and this register, more than any before. Keep it up, and thanks!

Retired-Teach
11-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Like Dave and Mike, the best thing that happened to me when I bought this car, was meeting and becoming friends with a whole bunch of great guys and gals. Totally unexpected. Having a great car to drive isn't bad either.

Donnie C
11-23-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm 64 years old/young and I've always wanted a Porsche. I still remember assembling a model 904 as a teenager, lusted that 911 that Steve McQueen drove in the opening sequences of LeMans (went for over a million dollars,right?), but got side tracked into a BMW 2002 because that was all I could afford. Then got more sidetracked with career, kids, more work and Honda's for family use. And I'm thankful for all of that.

Then, one day, I saw a speed yellow 2006 Cayman; better curves than Carrera's best and the same mid-engined configuration as that "904". It all came back to me -- I want THIS Porsche. Fruits of the career's effort allowed me to entertain the idea since the sticker price was a whole lot less than those "other" Porsches. Then, my wife said, " Go for it !" Talk about being "thankful" !!

Donnie C.

Lobaeux
11-24-2011, 01:20 AM
First off, I'm thankful for the continued good health of my family and friends, I'm thankful for being home this Thanksgiving, spending it with my family, and not on deployment.

I'm thankful that I was able to spend the time with my wife and my Cayman at her first big PCA event, the PCA Palooza in Eureka Springs. What a fantastic time we had! I'm thankful that the great people we met at Palooza has convinced her to attend next year's Parade and Escape.

I'm thankful I have a garage to keep my pretty, little Inga in, housed comfortably, warm and secure from the elements, safe from bird droppings, cat prints and falling branches.

But, mostly I'm thankful I didn't look like a complete baffoon during the autocross at PCA Palooza. Well that is after the first run, where I ran over the starting box. I'm thankful I didn't scratch my car.

Yeah, not a complete baffoon!

:wink:

gfgdc
11-24-2011, 05:58 AM
I am so thankful for our Cayman Register. I know of no other resource that provides technical information personalized through the experience of like-minded Cayman afficionados who together produce a uniquely profound appreciation for our phenomenal, mid-engine marvel. I am thankful for the opportunity that the Register has given us to share in the joy and pride of ownership that unexpectedly has brought such exceptional individuals together. The Register truly exemplifies the PCA motto - It's not just the cars - it's the people. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

ashaffer
11-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I'm happy and thankful most of all because my girlfriend is getting near the end of her cancer treatments and will soon be back to her beautiful, happy, and healthy self.

Second I am happy that I have achieved the lifelong goal of owning a Porsche as my Cayman S is my first Porsche after owning and racing BMW and Audi since 1971. It truely was a personal goal to be able to see the Porsche crest in my garage and hear the sound of the flat 6 when I cruise through the mountains on a fall day. It makes me happy!

Hope to be making all sorts of new friends with the PCA as I did with the Audi Club.

-Al

Rod
11-24-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm thankful for an over the top experience at the Invasion of Watkins Glen this year that could not have happened without this site. It's my favorite site on the entire World Wide Web!......Rod

felicitasnyc
11-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Im thankful that Wilson and I are going to spend this holiday with my aunt and cousins upstate New York. Frosty the Cayenne is taking us on that trip.
Im also thankful that my dad is doing better after a double lung embolism and a stint in the hospital. We will be able to spend Christmas in Germany this year to be with him.
In times like this where friends and family are having a rough time I am thankful for my good friends and the support they offer. Some of those friends I met in the Porsche community, and of course in the Cayman Forum.

Happy holidays to all of you!

ENGNR1
11-24-2011, 09:16 AM
Since I've already received one in the past, I'll take myself out of the DVD competition. But I want to say thanks to the mighty men and women of the Cayman Register who continue to exalt this car over all else (and therefore keeping my mind and bank account from wandering too far into 991 territory). I am usually on the road (and typically out of the country) between 25%-50% of my time so it is always a pleasure to unplug my car from the black box and take it out for a good workout.

So today it is time to celebrate our good fortune (and luck) to be living someplace where anyone who decides they want to be an American can come (with appropriate paperwork), work hard, make the decisions they need to make (career, religion, family, education, transportation mode) and provided they don't bite the hand of freedom, become American. There are a handful of other places (like with our Canadian neighbors) where this is possible, but it all started here, and we are blessed to be here.

Happy Thanksgiving to my PCA and Cayman friends,
Glenn

Gator Bite
11-24-2011, 09:42 AM
BigGuy sent me a reply asking, "What exactly is a Cayman DVD Box Set"? So just in case others are thinking the same thing, I thought a post would be better than a single e-mail reply.

The Cayman DVD Box Set is a Dual DVD set that was produced in 2006 and 2007. It includes a number of DVD quality videos. Perhaps a couple more pictures is the best place to start...

http://caymanregister.org/images/ArticleImages/rewards/IMG_5856_2.JPG

http://caymanregister.org/images/ArticleImages/rewards/IMG_5858_2.JPG

Disc 1 contains the popular videos that you've probably already seen, "Instantly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ni3bdGLNZ0)", "Inspiration (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXOef93JEUY)", and "Rivals". But these are on DVD, so you can watch them on your TV or Computer in much better quality than you can find online anywhere.

Disc 2 contains LOTs of extras, including a very good description of common options, snap shots of all of the marketing posts and advertisements pertaining to the Cayman, Technical Specs and a very cool look behind the scenes in "Making of ______" videos.

The information contained is centered around 2007 Cayman and Cayman S, but more than 80% of the information applies to all Caymans from 2006-2012. The set is a nice addition to any real Cayman fan's collection. These DVDs used to be available at any Porsche dealership parts department for around $24.95. But I suspect that they are no longer available and/or hard to find at this point.

We've asked Porsche to keep us in mind when they find items like this that we can share with our members. So from time to time they come up with another small stash. We unfortunately don't have enough of these to supply every member, so we run these fun and interesting contests. We are so confident that you'll like these DVDs that we even back it up with a 30 day money back guarantee. If you're not 100% completely satisfied, send your DVD's back to me for a full refund, no questions asked...(That's a joke because they're free, we don't sell them.... :wink:)

GuardsRedRob
11-24-2011, 09:50 AM
First of all, I'm thankful for the opportunity to own one of these fantastic cars, which also means I have to thank my good fortune to be in a position to afford one and my wife for letting me actually buy it! :wink:

I am also thankful for this community of like-minded, energetic & friendly people, but none of it would have been possible without the hard-working folks who put the Cayman Register together in the first place and continue to contribute their time and their thoughts.

Finally, I'm thankful for my local PCA chapter (Alpine Mountain Region) who continue to provide great opportunities to participate in a wide range of events and, again, contribute so much of their time doing so.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
--Robert

Gator Bite
11-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I'd like to add something to my prior post.

First, to those of you who already have DVD's and are passing on taking one, "Thank You". That will increase the chances that other's will get one.

Second, we never really told you how many DVD sets we have to give away. Right now we have 15 sets to distribute. So keep the replies coming. If we get less than 20 replies, everyone who replied gets one. If we get more than 15, then we go to the random drawing routine. That means with 30 replies your chances are 1 in 2. With 45 replies, 1 in 3. Etc....

Third, I'd like to say that I am thankful for the support of the PCA and Porsche. The PCA provides all the support we need to keep the software running, to share window decals with each member and so much more. The generous support of Porsche makes these contests and give aways possible.

BoxsterPhil
11-24-2011, 10:23 AM
First of all I am Happy for Family, Friends and Good Health. The Porsche Community is as great as the Cars!
I enjoy the friendship of the local PCA Clubs and our Meet-up group. Its a great joy to just enjoy whatever one wants to do in the Cayman and Boxster Forums. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Bill-banger
11-24-2011, 10:34 AM
I have much to be thankful for, good friends such as the Cayman Register group, health, (relative) wealth, freedoms that most of the world can only dream about, and the ability to enjoy life which includes driving my Cayman.

When so much of the world is in need of basic necessities, it sometimes makes me feel guilty that I have so much, and I am reminded of the command: "To whom much is given, much is required." That makes me act on my feelings of guilt and overabundance by sharing of my abundance with those that have so much less. I know I don't do enough, but I try in several ways to give back, and regularly help by providing food and labor for our local soup kitchen. So as we sit down to our Thanksgiving meal today, remember those that don't enjoy that luxury, and take the time to help someone in need. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!:smile:

trodehaver
11-24-2011, 10:37 AM
I am thankful that Porsche has finally produced a car that takes homage from its long line of successful race cars and built another mid-engine line.

I am thankful to live in Germany, and thankful for the Autobahn and its lack of speed limit and thankful to have a car that loves to cruise at 240kph.

I am thankful for the lack of litigation in Europe that lets me enjoy the “Green Hell” of the Nürburgring for $34 a lap… without a helmet… and the many other tracks I’ve visited with my Cayman.

And of course I’m thankful for this registry, the Porsche Club of America and the Porsche Club Deutschland, all who offer friendship and camaraderie with people of similar interest and enthusiasm.

I can’t wait to join all the Porsche enthusiasts in the Porsche tent at the 12 Hours of Sebring in March 2012! See you then.

BradB
11-24-2011, 12:16 PM
I am happy that I successfully negotiated another year of high speed track apexes, dark country highways, potholed city streets and parking lot adventures with nary a scratch or dent on my Cayman S. It wasn't easy!

JSF101
11-24-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm thankful for a wife that doesn't nag me when I want to go to the track. I'm thankful for a wife that doesn't b-tch when I want a new Boxster Spyder (even if she doesn't like the sport seats). I'm thankful she hasn't beat me in the Autocross yet. I'm thankful I have a beautiful day off to take my wife for a drive in my Spyder.

James Carrara White
11-24-2011, 01:49 PM
While Porsches come and go through our lives, I'm thankful for the friends that have followed.
Friends that have supported me through a term as a Regional President, a National Concours trophy where I am honored to have my name attached, and as a Parade judge that was honored to be part of the final overall judging group this year.
Time is a great storyteller, and without these friends support, I would be less.
I value that, and the freedom of this country the the most.

jrjajs
11-24-2011, 02:55 PM
I am thankful for 3 automotive related things:
First and foremost that I have a wonderful wife that enjoys and participates in the track events throughout the year. It is a great passion we share together!
Second, for every man and woman who takes the time to instruct those of us starting out on track. Without these very unselfish people the entire track experience would not be possible. Between being coached by and making friends with them, it only makes the PCA experience the best automotive club!
Third, for Porsche for making such an incredible track machine as the Cayman. Truly an awesome performer both on and off the track. And it is great looking too!
Can't wait for the coming year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

rsjroper
11-24-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm thnakful for my incredible wife, Lee. And, I'm gratefeul for having the experience of being a dad to my terrific sons. I'm thnakful for having been born in the greatest country in the world. Lastly, I give thanks for the good health shared by all the people I love.

4thtimeacharm
11-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Our family has so much to be Thankful for. We still have our jobs and bread on the table. A roof over our head and clothes on our back. Cars to take us to and fro. The sun is shining right now despite the forecast for rain and the bird is in the oven.

We give thanks to our Lord on high for all of his blessings. And to be a blessing to others at this time and throughout the year is a privilege that we enjoy. There is so much need. Who of us that has no need can turn our faces away.

rickpt
11-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Thankful? I never thought I would be able to own such a beautiful & great driving car. Thanks to careful, patient used car shopping, now I do. Big thanks to Porsche for making the "low price" 2.7.
Really, the Cayman is to me the best looking sub $100k car ever. I never enjoyed washing & waxing a car so much. Great to have garage space for several cars, too. In a nice weather area, north of Atlanta. I feel for you guys in the" frozen wastelands" ( my definition of all areas significantly north of I-20).

sctrent
11-24-2011, 06:35 PM
My CS fits me like a glove and she responds as we are one. Makes for a perfect driving experience.

ApexL8
11-24-2011, 07:40 PM
...beautiful & great driving car.rickpt, welcome to the Cayman Register! It's great to see new members joining in. We really hope you'll like the place, have a look around, and we're 'all ears' if you have suggestions for anything we can improve on.
Cheers,
Chuck (Also from GA)

engineerchic
11-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Buying a Cayman changed my life....my story...

I had no idea buying a Porsche would change my life, but it did. In August of 2009, I bought my first Porsche, a white 2007 base model Cayman with gray interior, tiptronic (or Chictronic, as some of my Porsche friends affectionately called it, lol). I did not think when I first bought the car I would ever autocross it, because the car was so beautiful, but when I went down to check out a San Diego region autocross, I immediately wanted to drive the course! I'm not the fastest AX'r but kept at it for fun and because my Dad, a PCA member since the 1960's, encouraged me to at least do a few AX's because the cars have a lot of power, and I should learn how to drive it correctly.

So, after that, I attended as many AX's as I could, often times doing 2 a month, one in Orange County, and one in San Diego! I had fun and met so many great people, true enthusiasts, who wanted to know more about everything and exchange knowledge about their cars.

Add on social and track events (watching my friends race in Time Trial--I grew up watching racing at Lime Rock, so enjoy this as much), and my weekends filled up fast doing Porsche related events. All of a sudden, it was all I did on weekends, lol! And here I am a few years later, still doing as many Porsche events as my schedule and my location allows! Except now I have a 6-speed, Cayman S, 2007, white with black interior. I just missed that clutch pedal waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much, lol! And now, I have the automatic Subaru as my daily driver.

As far as my story goes, I'm living my dream. I'm single so can do what I want, no approval needed except for me. It's quite liberating and DAMN FUN! :cool2: I think growing up at AX & DE with the CVR region really planted the seeds early! I used to play on my blanket at AX & helped flag the DE's at Lime Rock in the 1980s, before I was even old enough to drive.

Happy Thanksgiving, great to have so much info on this site, and reassuring to hear from like minded Cayman nuts! :grin:

BruceT
11-25-2011, 12:49 AM
Bill-Banger couldn't have said it better, so I repeat: I have much to be thankful for, good friends such as the Cayman Register group, health, (relative) wealth, freedoms that most of the world can only dream about, and the ability to enjoy life which includes driving my Cayman.

When so much of the world is in need of basic necessities, it sometimes makes me feel guilty that I have so much, and I am reminded of the command: "To whom much is given, much is required." That makes me act on my feelings of guilt and overabundance by sharing of my abundance with those that have so much less. I know I don't do enough, but I try in several ways to give back, and regularly help by providing food and labor for our local soup kitchen. So as we sit down to our Thanksgiving meal today, remember those that don't enjoy that luxury, and take the time to help someone in need. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!:smile:

iowa_hawk1
11-25-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm thankful that I saw a Cayman at the Pittsburgh Auto show in 2008 when it was well past time to replace my '84 RX-7 as my daily driver. I'm even more thankful that after the initial sticker shock, I decided that I really could afford it if I wanted it badly enough, despite that fact that it cost more than half of what paid for my house. In a couple of weeks I will have owned it for three years and I'm thankful that I have not regretted that purchase for a second.

gemars
11-25-2011, 01:32 AM
I'm thankful for so much...

While I loved my 2000 Boxster S, I never tracked it, but I had caught the "bug" when I got my wife a Bondurant 3 day course when she got her '98 993 Cabriolet, and she dragged me along to Bondurant. When my Boxster was totaled in Oct '05, I broke down and special ordered a Cayman S, sight unseen, with all the options I wanted on a track car. Shortly thereafter, I discovered the Cayman Club in January 2006, and became well acquainted with beez, Santa Fe, Gaiter Bite, and several others as we discovered the strengths and shortcomings of our new toys. Unfortunately, that site took a commercial turn years back, but fortunately a strong core of those members formed the PCA Cayman Register, keeping a safe haven for the discussions and info that has been so helpful over the last 6 years of ownership.

I'm thankful for a wife who shares my passion for driving and Porsches, and who not only doesn't mind me spending the weekend on the track, she's right there with me lap after lap, a spectacular driver, and a partner in every sense.

I'm thankful for Brad, who's become more than my best friend, he's more like my brother. We talk, we track and we travel together. He was the crutch that helped support me when my engine failed, and through all the emotional ups and downs that followed.

I'm thankful for Jim Patrick who started as a friend and mentor on the track, and became the instrument to resurrect my car like a phoenix from the ashes of it's demise, with an engine I can track without fearing another "cracked cap catastrophe."

I'm thankful for Gaiter Bite, who helped my 5 years ago when I wanted an installed Escort in my Cayman S, and he gave me all the info I needed, then later, when he shared his adventures of Europeon Delivery, and the Nurbergring on line, then again this summer, when I needed to replace the exhaust on my Cayman, and found he had summarized the options.... (BTW, the complete CAPRISTO system ROCKS!)

I'm thankful for a community of Cayman Owners who gave me support and kept me from feeling foolish when details of my engine failure were discussed....

I'm thankful I've got a car that's the equal of my passion, a car that carves the curves of the track like a scalpel, a car that has given me almost 6 years of enjoyment driving, instructing and competing.

I'm thankful I have two wonderful, healthy children. I'm thankful I have a nice home and a good job. And, I had a WONDERFUL birthday today, thank you all very much!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Greg

2006 Cayman S, PASM, Sport Chrono Plus, Adaptive Sport Seats, Sport Short Shifter
Quaife TBD
Softronics Race Plenum, 82 mm GT3 throttlebody
Mantis Sump Extension and Windage tray
Mantis Underdrive Pulley
Accusump
Porsche Motorsports 2 stage VOS
Rennline Strut Tower Brace
GT3 Lower Control Arms
3.8 L bored, Nikosil plated cylinders, R&R custom billet lightweight CroMoly rods, JE forged pistons, ARP fasteners, lightweight flywheel, race clutch.
Giro Disk 2 piece slotted rotors
Pagid Yellow pads
Capristo complete race exhaust
TraqMate
Escort SRX, Valentine 1

roadrunner
11-25-2011, 01:40 AM
I have been blessed so many ways. God has been generous. Family has been a great blessing with kids and grand-kids all doing well. Provisions - home, food, clothing - all more than necessary. And I have a car that is fun to drive.

Thanks to the Cayman Registry, I have a great source of information on my fun car and on how to have more fun with it.

i a motorsports
11-25-2011, 07:25 AM
First of all I am thankful for the health and well being of my family and all of those close to me.

But I have more to be thankful for:

1. I am thankful for my Cayman S, which makes me smile every time I see it, and grin like a kid every time I drive it
2. I am thankful every time I return to it in a parking spot and find that no one has managed to bump or scratch it
3. I am thankful for my delightful and beautiful wife, who bought my CS for me to add some joy to my daily commute (though I don't use it to commute every day, I would call it a daily driver)
4. I am thankful for the many interesting and kind folks I have met thru this and other forums, and events
5. I am thankful that I have the means to be able to afford $300 oil changes!

and I am thankful that Porsche saw the wisdom of creating mid-engine coupe!

Happy thanksgiving to all.

Left Hander
11-25-2011, 07:30 AM
I am thankfful for all of the many blessings which surround us on a daily basis and which we often do not notice. Our families, our health, our prosperity to indulge our time, talents, and finances with expensive hobbies and not the least of which our country and its wondrous freedoms are all tremendous blessings for which I am thankful. PCA and all that this great organization are certainly on the list - it truly is the people not the cars which makes the difference.

Last weekend Croc'ed said it well at VIR when he said each weekend he is at the track he has to pinch himself to be reminded that yes the basics in life are covered and we are really able to indulge ourselves in this hobby. While others struggle for homes, food, clothing we are blessed enough to focus on concerns like cars, events, mods, friendships which are so far removed from these basic struggles.

I seem to have several friends and relatives around me right not struggling with serious health issues. Certainly we all are well aware of the financial struggles in the world today. I often reflect and think perhaps God is trying to open our eyes to the many blessings he has provided and ponder what should we the fortunate be doing differnently.

don

ApexL8
11-25-2011, 08:38 AM
First of all I am thankful for the health and well being of my family and all of those close to me.Thanks for joining us Michael/i a motorsports, welcome to the PCA Cayman Register!

Chuck

costagt
11-25-2011, 08:54 AM
my 07 cs completes me. thank you porsche.

costa

Big Guy
11-25-2011, 11:54 AM
I am thankful for the fact that my mother did not brake any bones or incur any other serious injury after a fall on Thanksgiving morning. I am thankful for the Emergency Room staff who worked shorthanded through the holiday to care for her and others. I am also thankful for the non-emergency transport driver who stayed over after his shift was over to take my mother in her wheelchair back to her assisted living residence after spending 10+ hours in the ER...when all other transport services had the day off.

Lastly I am thankful for Mike sharing information on the Cayman DVD set which I otherwise would have known nothing about.

Signed,
Thankful

RonR
11-25-2011, 11:54 AM
I have so much to be thankful for. First and foremost I am thankful for my family. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baz
11-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Grateful? Humbled is more like it.
The CS has become part of our family as have the many wonderful people we've met since acquiring this amazing piece of Teutonic engineering. The highlights:
Rennsport.......I never thought I could get too much of this experience. Rennsport exceeded expectations in every category imaginable. Topping it off, the good fortune to park on Cayman Island.
Roadtrips........Too many to count. The best has to be three days with my 18 yr old son on Coast Hwy. The magical moment occurred when leaving Clint Eastwood's hotel (Mission Ranch) in Carmel and tossing him the keys with some simple words of encouragement.....partner, just keep the shiny side up! It was a memorable trip, our last together before he headed off to college.
Breakfast at Alice's Restaurant......Always a gas. The ride down the mountain on Hwy 84 is still one of the best in the state. Our son is home from college for Thanksgiving so that's where we are headed in the morning.
Understanding.......My wife truly gets it. I need the windshield time and she never begrudges me the opportunity even as I accidentally wake her at 4:30 on Sat mornings pulling out of the garage headed to a destination that is totally spontaneous, unplanned, but highly anticipated.

The Cayman is not who I am but it is how I feel.

diverdog
11-25-2011, 08:10 PM
As others have shared there is so much to be thankful for. Good health, good career and family. I consider many of you a part of my extended family. I've had so much fun at PCA events with my PCA friends. I'm thankful for all of the DE instructors that shared their time and knowledge with me. I'm happy that I can return the favor now by doing the same for a new group of DE students.

I really miss my Zone 1 friends but I'm looking forward to making new ones here in the wild, wild west!

Happy and healthy holidays to you all!:cool2:

Bruce

Jon in Austin
11-25-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm thankful for the great year I've had enjoying my 2011 Cayman, driving it from our Austin, Texas, home to Porlland, Oregon, shortly after the Oct. 2011 delivery, followed by a trip in May that took us to Vancouver Island, BC, then the Parade in Savanah (one of the best!), and a trip in September to the Santa Fe Consorso. Great car, even more fun than my 2007 Cayman. 19,000+ miles in one year, with no major issues and great gas mileage. As my wife keeps saying, this car just doesn't want to go slow, and the seats are so comfortable. Jon in Austin
Happy (http://caymanregister.org/images/ArticleImages/rewards/DVD_IMG_1284.png[/imgs]Happy) Thanksgiving . . .

Dear Cayman Register Members,

It's time for Thanksgiving. Let's dissect that word; thanks -- giving. It seems the end of the year, the holidays, often become a blur. We don't always take the time to just give a simple thanks, so let's change that.

We've scraped up a small supply of Cayman DVD Box Sets and we'd like to share them with you, as a thank you for everything you've done this year to support this community.

Please Reply to this post, give it a shot, any expression and you'll be automatically entered among those to be chosen randomly to receive the gift of an Official Porsche Cayman DVD from your friends at the PCA Cayman Register. It can be an essay, borderline short story, or even just a sentence or two. Feel free to upload pictures to share with everyone. Here are some example topics:

Why I like my Cayman
How my Cayman fits me and my lifestyle
A memorable PCA event I attended this year
Quality time with my Cayman - scenic drive, road trip alone or with friends, even an oil change
The Cayman Register, of course, found some information, participated in a lively exchange or what you value about it
Your decision to get a Cayman must have affected you in some way, led to good times with friends and family, helped you to meet new people, or just the joy of ownership. Dig down and find something from 2011 that's worth being grateful for. It's not a competition, just a chance to spread some happiness around.

Please submit your reply by 12/07/2011 to be considered for the DVD drawing. We'll close this thread and post the list of winners here on 12/08/2011.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Chuck, Brad & Mike, your Cayman Register Team

BillC
11-25-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm thankful to have a loving, tolerant wife who doesn't mind (too much) my car-obsessed hobbies, and a couple of smart, healthy kids. I'm also thankful for the friends I've made through owning a Cayman (both online and in the real world). It's kinda funny, but it's hard to appreciate the PCA slogan until you actually have a Porsche.

Badger1
11-25-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm thankful for my Cayman and the Cayman Register because they both allow me to experience and enjoy a hobby with greater understanding. Thanks guys!

gferguson
11-26-2011, 08:22 AM
I am thankful that I am still here to enjoy my Cayman. In April my home was hit by an F-5 tornado. As I emerged from the badly damaged house I was not sure if the detached garage that housed my Cayman was still there. Much to my relief, the garage although damaged, was intact and my Cayman was unharmed.

My wife and I have been living in an apartment since May while our new home is being built. I rented a garage at the apartment to keep the Cayman out of the elements. We will move into our new home next month and I already have the space picked out in our 3 car garage for the Cayman.

We are truly thankful for all our blessings.

cirrus7
11-26-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm thankful for my wife, my family, and my secure employment. To add thanks upon thanks, I am thankful for the opportunity to own my Porsche dream car the Cayman.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

ApexL8
11-26-2011, 09:48 AM
...I am thankful for the opportunity to own my Porsche dream car the Cayman.cirrus7, welcome to the Cayman Register! Speaking for all of the team minding this place, I hope you enjoy joining our community.
Cheers,
Chuck

OldSlowpoke
11-27-2011, 10:23 AM
I have much to be thankful for, starting with my wonderful wife and her three great sons, two loving kitty-cats, and two marvelous Friesian horses. The relevant thing here is my gorgeous Cayman S, which I think is the most beautiful car Porsche has ever made, as well as the best-handling. Yep, I love to look at it, and I love to drive it. The new 911 looks awesome, but I wouldn't trade.

ApexL8
11-27-2011, 11:07 AM
There's a lot of like minded responses already, so mine will sound like an echo, but getting to spend Thanksgiving day with 20 family members was a real treat, and drove home that's the thing I'm most thankful for.

I'm also very grateful to have a paying job that will continue on hopefully. My one big hobby is my Cayman, and I'd keep it if things 'went south', but most of the best fun, like track days, would dry up.

I am horribly, almost criminally biased towards the Cayman Register, so if some strange little man chases you down at a Porsche event trying to get you to join there's good odds it'll be me. My enthusiasm might get misinterpreted as insanity, I try to keep it in check but don't always prevail. I try to imagine life without the CR, and it wouldn't be so different I guess. I'd still seek out other Cayman owners when I saw them at a DE or whatever, but this place has really facilitated the process of meeting other enthusiasts, so along all the great information here, that's what I'd miss the most. The Register might not make the top five or so, friends, family, health, but I'm thankful for it, and even more thankful to be able to help out a little to keep the place running.

(I'm not entered, I already won a DVD before I became a mod.)
Chuck

VegasCayman
11-29-2011, 12:55 AM
First, I'm thankful to live in a country where I can own any vehicle I want. Then, I am thankful for my Uncle who convinced me through example that a Porsche is what I needed, and my wife's encouragement to do it. A Cayman S now resides in my garage. What a fantastic car.

I learned to drive in a '64 VW Bug, and I remember repairing the throttle linkage with a paperclip on a dark Ohio back road. Not that I expect to do that with the Cayman, but there seems to be a similarity in the Cayman's sensible design.

I'm fairly new to the Cayman Register, but have already learned a lot about my car from searching the many forums. Thank you.

Captain Happy
11-29-2011, 01:32 AM
In reading through the posts on this thread, I find I can relate to each one. Being thankful for what we have is a prerequisite for real enjoyment, whether it's our family, friends, career, or car. Having had the Porsche bug for many years and finally getting the CS as my first Porsche almost 5 years has been truly life altering. THe feeling of "Sheer Joy" driving my CS in the mountains of Nevada and California, AXing wherever, going on fabulous driving tours with my club members and attending national level events like Parade (Keystone), Escape (Flagstaff) and Rennsport (Laguna Seca) is only matched the great people I've met everywhere through the Porsche experience. There is a real brotherhood (and sisterhood) among Porsche enthusiasts and it crosses all demographics. What a great experience!

On the "giving" side, I want to use the examples of others that have been in the community for a long time, who have made my experience so wonderful, as a model for me to try to make new members of our Porsche community (online and at the region level) have as good an experience as I have had. A tall order but one I take seriously. Thanks to all of you - you do make a difference.

As a previous DVD set winner, I recuse myself from any consideration on the current DVD offer - BTW it's a great gift!

Craig

ApexL8
11-29-2011, 08:43 AM
I'm fairly new to the Cayman Register, but have already learned a lot about my car from searching the many forums.VegasCayman, Even though you've been around a little while searching the forums, thanks for taking the time to make a first post. We've got some ideas for improvements 'in the pipeline', so speaking for Gator Bite, beez, and myself, we hope you continue to find this place has value for you.

Chuck

nedflemming
11-29-2011, 04:55 PM
I was at a traffic light on Thanksgiving morning when a car pulled up beside me and motioned me to lower my window. The couple in the car said, "Thank you.....and you DESERVE that car!" I wasn't quite sure what they meant until I realized they had seen my Vietnam Veteran license plate.

Daytona
12-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Wow, what am I thankful for? So many things; A cool wife that understands my car madness, that I can affor a car like the Cayman, good friends some of which I met through the Porsche club, good health to enjoy the cool wife the cool car and the cool friends, and so much more...

ApexL8
12-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks for making a first post Daytona, I'm really glad we started this thread.

Chuck

Don 166
12-02-2011, 05:20 PM
It's been a while since I have visited this site. I'm not a big computer user but enjoy reading some of the posts. I'm thankful for all the same reasons posted by others good health being number 1 but this is about our passion driving the wheels off our Caymans . I'm thankful that I had 41 great track days this season and over 130 in my Cayman driving ,racing, and instructing . Through all those days I grew as a driver and I was able to modify my Cayman to adapt to my increasing needs . The Cayman only let me down once my own fault not a bad record for all those track days . I'm thankful that when I get all strapped in check all my gear and go out on the track that I can enter a zone where I can focus on only one thing my connection to a wonderful machine that takes me to a special place that makes me put on a really big smile . ( not to mention the fun of going by those 911's ) I'm thankful that after owning many really great cars that I chose the Cayman to be my special car to develop my driving passion to it's present level. Lastly I'm thankful to see so many Caymans at the track these days . When Judy and I started with our Cayman we were sometimes the only Cayman at the event . We have made many great friends and enjoy seeing more and more Caymans and their owners enjoying their cars at the track . Enjoy the Holidays.

Nebio
12-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Like many others here I am thankful for good health, good friends (many from PCA), good skills that allow me to enjoy my work most days and for my family, especially my brother since it is his fault I became a Porsche owner.
He acquired an 83 944 as a garage find several years ago. He showed it to everyone else in the family but me (hey! I'm the other one in the family who drives MT!) I finally went to his place to see it and he made up for his omission by handing me the keys to it for the day. I had way too much fun. He was willing to share but we both wanted to drive at the same time so I needed one of my own.
Since becoming an owner I have met many wonderful people, had a blast at the Sport Driving School (great therapy for winter Porsche withdrawal syndrome), tried autocross and DE and had lots of fun :grin: Looking forward to even more to come.

ApexL8
12-07-2011, 11:13 AM
First, to those of you who already have DVD's and are passing on taking one, "Thank You". That will increase the chances that other's will get one.We're closing in on the deadline, let's call it midnight tonight, 12/07, and I'll put a list of posts together minus myself, Gator Bite, and the selfless members who've already excused themselves from receiving an additional DVD.

I found a web site that can generate random numbers from "atmospheric noise", I have no idea how that works, but it sounds fair. I'll get it to spit out some integers to determine who gets DVDs and post those names tomorrow, the 8th.

RANDOM.ORG - True Random Number Service (http://www.random.org/)

In true Cayman Register fashion there have been some really great replies, some very poignant, some humor mixed in, and I was happy to see some unfamiliar names, members who have just joined, or who had decided to make a first post. I urge you new members to check back in when you can, maybe not as obsessively as I do, but there's always new, interesting information and conversations popping up. We want to provide a little extra value for those hard earned bucks people spend on a PCA membership, and I hope we're getting that done. We're not the biggest car enthusiast site, just the best.;)

Thank you to the PCA for providing the DVDs, a little swag we can share with our membership.

Chuck

ApexL8
12-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Drum roll please...These lucky participants have been chosen at random. We'll try to get those discs out to you soon!

ashaffer
Bill-banger
BillC
costagt
Daytona
Don 166
gemars
gferguson
gfgdc
GuardsRedRob
jrjajs
nedflemming
Rod
RonR
sctrent

Special thanks to EGNR1, Speedy, & Captain Happy who were kind enough to add their thoughts to the thread even though they removed themselves from eligibility for the drawing.

I hope everybody enjoyed reading their fellow members' musings about Thanksgiving. Feel free to post more if you'd like, but we had to put a cutoff date for the drawing somewhere, so that part of it is over.

Cheers from your Cayman Register Team,
Brad, Mike, Chuck

Update: See below for 5 more winners!

Gator Bite
12-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Wow... What a fun thread this was to read. Thanks for everyone who participated. I really enjoyed reading all of the posts... So.... I'd scraped up 5 more DVD sets...!! I'd like to congratulate the following random winners who will be added to the list:

16. BradB
17. OldSlowpoke
18. Retired-Teach
19. trodehaver
20. BoxsterPhil

Congratulations to all of the winners. We'll be mailing the DVD sets out first thing next week, so please review, verify and or update your address in your user profile (http://caymanregister.org/profile.php?do=editprofile). This is where we'll send your set.

Lobaeux
12-08-2011, 08:08 PM
There's always next year!
Congrats all who won!

Gator Bite
12-08-2011, 08:10 PM
There's always next year!
Congrats all who won!

If you didn't win, keep your ear to the wall. We're planning some other promotions. You won't have to wait a year... :wink:

Rod
12-08-2011, 08:55 PM
One more thing to be thankful for! Address verified! Thanks again:grin:....Rod

RonR
12-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Yahoo!!!!:grin: Christmas has come early. I can't wait to check out my DVD. Thanks to all the moderators who put in all the time to make this an awesome site for all of us Cayman fanatics. :cool2: Oh, my address is verified. Thanks again!

gemars
12-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Cool! I verified my info. Can't wait to see it!

Lobaeux
12-09-2011, 05:45 PM
If you didn't win, keep your ear to the wall. We're planning some other promotions. You won't have to wait a year... :wink:

SWEET!! :grin:

Retired-Teach
12-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Wow, I've been on a streak. what's next, the lottery?:wink:

GuardsRedRob
12-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Way cool - an early Christmas present!!! :grin: Address verified. Special thanks to the moderators who make all of this possible and all of the participants for sharing such great thoughts!

trodehaver
12-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Wow... What a fun thread this was to read. Thanks for everyone who participated. I really enjoyed reading all of the posts... So.... I'd scraped up 5 more DVD sets...!! I'd like to congratulate the following random winners who will be added to the list:

16. BradB
17. OldSlowpoke
18. Retired-Teach
19. trodehaver
20. BoxsterPhil

Congratulations to all of the winners. We'll be mailing the DVD sets out first thing next week, so please review, verify and or update your address in your user profile (http://caymanregister.org/profile.php?do=editprofile). This is where we'll send your set.
Oh WOW! Excellent! Didn't see this until today, so thanks again.

Retired-Teach
12-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Just received my DVD, and I hope to view it tomorrow. A perfect post Christmas gift.:grin:

GuardsRedRob
01-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Has anyone else (or everyone else :tongue:) received their DVD box set yet? I'm not complaining, mind you, but I'm just wondering if mine got lost somewhere along the way . . .

Gator Bite
01-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Has anyone else (or everyone else :tongue:) received their DVD box set yet? I'm not complaining, mind you, but I'm just wondering if mine got lost somewhere along the way . . .

I'm glad you asked. I have been told by the PCA HQ that they were able to mail out 12 of them, but needed to acquire more shipping supplies for the remaining 8. I suspect yours is in the second batch.

Hi,

Only 12 of the Cayman DVD’s were sent out. Unfortunately, we are still waiting for more of the packaging we used to send out the other DVD’s. We should receive them sometime next week, and the rest will go out asap. Thank you. Happy New Year!

Michelle Pineda
Porsche Club of America
(410) 381-0911

So sit tight. They should be coming soon.

GuardsRedRob
01-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Cool - thanks for the update. I just wanted to make sure that the Grinch didn't swipe it from the post office!

jrjajs
01-10-2012, 05:56 PM
WOW thanks! I didn not know I had been picked until it showed up yesterday. What fun! Watched it all yesterday. May even let the wife see it :)

RonR
01-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Just received my package today. I haven't had a chance to view yet, but I can't wait. Thanks again to all those who put in their time to make this site a great place to visit. I always look forward to logging-on daily.

GuardsRedRob
01-11-2012, 09:45 AM
I just got mine as well, but haven't had time to watch any of it yet. I like how it was packaged - kind of reminded me of Apple's packaging! :cool2:

Thanks to everyone who made this possible - great stuff!

--Robert

Rod
01-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Cool gift received thank you!...Rod

trodehaver
01-14-2012, 05:17 AM
I have received mine as well... thanks again. I've view the first CD. Great stuff!
Tom

sctrent
01-26-2012, 01:58 AM
I played the video as a repeat loop during our New Year's Eve party. Our friends' boys enjoyed it until they saw the real thing in the garage. They they were really excited except I could not take them out for a drive with the weather and it being New Year's Eve. Resorted to having them driving the Cayman S on Forza 3 instead. Good times.

Bill-banger
01-26-2012, 10:42 AM
I got mine a couple of weeks ago, maybe longer. I looked at them briefly but I think they are the same as a set I've had for a while.

Thanks anyway!

ApexL8
01-26-2012, 01:50 PM
I looked at them briefly but I think they are the same as a set I've had for a while.Pass it on! Re-gift.