PDA

View Full Version : Cayman R makes world debut at LA Auto Show!

Gator Bite
11-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Cayman R makes world debut in LA . . !

http://caymanregister.org/images/public/CaymanR/2012CaymanR-3tn.jpgWednesday November 17th, 11:00 AM PST - Today is an exciting day for Cayman fans. At 10:55 AM Pacific Time, Porsche unveiled a new hard core Cayman model to spectators at the 2011 LA Auto Show, and thanks to our close relationship with Porsche, we're able to simultaneously share the news here with you.

The new mid engine coupe will be called the 'Cayman R'. As a mid engined coupe, the Cayman R draws its heritage from the legendary 550 Spyder and 904 GTS. The 'R' designation shows that Porsche considers this Cayman to be a special car. If we look back into Porsche history we can see that Porsche has rarely used this single letter following a model number. The first time they did was back in 1967 on the very first pure race 911 ever built. In the 911 R Porsche replaced virtually every component with some form of lightweight replacement made from special materials. The body shell was made of fiberglass and other components were made of light weight alloys and plastics. The concept of the Cayman R shares in this 'add lightness' philosophy. Let's check out Porsche's official press release for more details:

2012 Porsche Cayman R Makes World Debut at Los Angeles Auto Show

New mid-engine coupe takes its purist cue from Boxster Spyder

ATLANTA – November 17, 2010 – Featuring 121 pounds less weight and the most horsepower available in a mid-engined Porsche, the 330-hp Cayman R has been created for one reason: pure driving dynamics. With its highly-tuned sports suspension and vigilant attention to weight savings, the third Cayman model offers an even more precise driving experience than the “standard” Cayman S. A direct descendant of the famous 1950’s 550 and 1960’s 904 mid-engined, high-performance Coupes, the 2012 Porsche Cayman R is celebrating its world premiere at the Los Angeles Auto Show November 17, 2010.

Light and Powerful

The newest member of the mid-engine family features the highly efficient 3.4-liter six-cylinder Direct Fuel Injection (DFI) boxer engine found in the Cayman S, but produces 10 more horsepower. With a six-speed manual transmission, the Cayman R sprints from a standstill to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds, two-tenths of a second faster than the Cayman S. With the optional seven-speed dual-clutch PDK (Doppelkupplungsgetriebe) transmission and the Sport Chrono package, the exercise is reduced to 4.4 seconds. Top track speed with the manual transmission is up by 3 to 175 mph (282 km / h), 174 mph (280 km / h) with the PDK.

The main objective in the concept and execution of the Cayman R was to improve the already energetic two-seater through a systematic reduction in weight, thereby increasing performance, driving dynamics and agility. With a DIN unladen weight of 2849 lbs. (1295 kg), Porsche engineers were able to achieve a power-to-weight ratio of 8.58 lbs. per hp (3.9 kilograms per hp) and with 8.8 lbs per hp (4 kilograms per hp) with the PDK.

More from Less

The greatest savings comes from the use of lightweight components and the omission of certain standard equipment not directly associated with driving performance.
In addition to the removal of the A/C and stereo, the driver-focused Cayman R utilizes a special fuel tank with 2.6 gallons less capacity and a sports suspension system that lowers the Cayman R by 20 mm, helping lower center of gravity. Optional on the Cayman S, the Cayman R comes with a standard limited slip differential, front and rear spoilers from the Cayman Aerokit and special lightweight 19” wheels also found on the Boxster Spyder.

Lightweight aluminum door skins, carbon-fiber backed sport bucket seats and interior door panels from the 911 GT3 RS also contribute to the weight reduction. Black-framed halogen headlights, contrasting side mirrors and decorative "PORSCHE" side-stripes add to the unique appearance.

The 2012 Cayman S goes on sale in February 2011 and U.S. base pricing is $66,300.

Quick Specs:
Engine: 3.4 liter (3,463cc), DFI, 12.5:1 compression, 330 BHP @ 7,400 RPM / 273 ft.lbs at 4,750 RPM

Suspension: Sport Suspension with 20mm lower ride height, stiffened springs and sway bars

Gross Weight: 2,849 lbs. (1,295 kg.)

Fuel Capacity: 14.3 Gallons (54 liters)

0-60 mph (Manual / PDK): 4.7 / 4.4 seconds

Top Speed (Manual / PDK): 175 / 174 MPH

Base Price: $66,300

Availability: February 2011
About Porsche Cars North America, Inc

A wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Dr. Ing.h.c.F.Porsche, Porsche Cars North America, Inc. and its 197 dealers offer U.S. customers some of the most technically advanced and high-performance vehicles in the world. Porsche is also synonymous with supreme quality and first-class customer treatment. Also, Porsche is fully and publicly committed to being a leader in significantly lowering emissions, and saving fuel. The company’s guiding credo is “Porsche Intelligent Performance” and the goal is to prove that Porsche’s high performance and efficiency are not contradictory terms. A dramatic example of this is the highly-anticipated 918 Spyder – a super sports car that is also a planned plug-in hybrid. Of course this is nothing new for Porsche, which for 62 years has developed numerous technologies that have advanced vehicle performance, improved safety and spurred environmental innovations. Obviously, one expects such achievements from the most revered race car brand in the world --- one that has accumulated more than 28,000 motorsport victories. Today, PCNA imports the cars that are the product of this great history, including the iconic 911 series, the renowned Boxster and Cayman mid-engine sports cars, the high-end Cayenne sport utility vehicles and the four-passenger Panamera Gran Turismo cars.

Follow us: www.twitter.com/Porsche (http://www.twitter.com/Porsche) and www.facebook.com/Porsche (http://www.facebook.com/Porsche)

###
PR-10-67

http://caymanregister.org/images/public/CaymanR/2012CaymanR-1sm.jpg

http://caymanregister.org/images/public/CaymanR/2012CaymanR-2sm.jpg

http://caymanregister.org/images/public/CaymanR/2012CaymanR-3sm.jpg

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=387&pictureid=4183

Stand by for more photos and video from the show. We've got some members who'll be attending the show on Friday who'll share after they've had a chance to edit and upload.

FTS
11-17-2010, 03:19 PM
So, my source was right on with "Cayman R" ;)

Santa Fe
11-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Yes and we are honored our embargo agreement with Porsche not to publish until the official announcement.

Croc'ed
11-17-2010, 03:48 PM
I think Porsche has put together a very nice equipment and appearance package here. I've spent a lot of time and money outfitting my car to a similar specification, without the benefit of improving its resale value accordingly. I especially like the upgraded wheels and suspension, limited slip differential, lightweight aluminum doors, and sport bucket seats, along with the unique styling cues.

I suspect that most buyers won't be willing to delete the radio and A/C, however, despite the weight penalties they impose. I wonder if Porsche plans to offer these features as no-cost options, a la the Boxster Spyder.

It would take a more hard-core Cayman offering (think GT3RS specification) to convince me to trade in my current car for this one, since I've modified my car to my liking and have sunk the steepest part of its depreciation curve. But I would recommend this option, without hesitation, to anyone considering his or her first Cayman purchase. I expect that Porsche will sell as many Cayman R's as they decide to bring to market.

Speedy
11-17-2010, 04:52 PM
I agree with Croc'ed. It appears some folks are a bit underwhelmed, but I think this is a nice upgrade to the CS and a good value for what you get. I'm not in a position to trade up myself, but if I was I'd give it serious consideration.

I think the horsepower bump - including the effective bump resulting from the weight loss! - along with the suspension tweaks will make for an even better driving experience.

And while I'm not looking to trade in my CS, I will be looking to consider future mods such as the R wheels, rear spoiler, etc. should they become available.

Gator Bite
11-17-2010, 05:23 PM
I think Porsche has put together a very nice equipment and appearance package here. I've spent a lot of time and money outfitting my car to a similar specification, without the benefit of improving its resale value accordingly. I especially like the upgraded wheels and suspension, limited slip differential, lightweight aluminum doors, and sport bucket seats, along with the unique styling cues.

I suspect that most buyers won't be willing to delete the radio and A/C, however, despite the weight penalties they impose. I wonder if Porsche plans to offer these features as no-cost options, a la the Boxster Spyder.

It would take a more hard-core Cayman offering (think GT3RS specification) to convince me to trade in my current car for this one, since I've modified my car to my liking and have sunk the steepest part of its depreciation curve. But I would recommend this option, without hesitation, to anyone considering his or her first Cayman purchase. I expect that Porsche will sell as many Cayman R's as they decide to bring to market.

I bet this car will sell very well. And I bet you will see more of them than you think without AC. Think about how many dedicated track Caymans we see at the track events. If you're going to have a dedicated track Cayman, Radio and A/C are useless.

merc88
11-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Before I read the article, I expected 350hp....I would option a S and be happy....I think they gotta go big on HP someday get me to spend 80K on another Cayman...I would, but it needs more HP than 330.

Merc88

Gator Bite
11-17-2010, 05:47 PM
So, my source was right on with "Cayman R" ;)

Perhaps.... :wink:

Thanks for understanding. I know we deleted a few posts leading up to this debut. Porsche put a lot of work into keeping this a secret and we would never want to upstage their debut. It's actually kind of amusing to see all of the back and fourth speculation at all of the other sites.

KineticFlow
11-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Anyone know how much lighter the wheels on the Spyder are? Maybe thats the real reason everyone says the Spyder feels so much faster than a regular Boxster.

sward2
11-17-2010, 06:15 PM
I agree that this car will be for the "Track oriented" driver. The rest of us already have a wonderful machine that gives us great performance on the road and includes the standard creature comforts. An upgrade for us would include features such as those found in the concept 918. Specifically, one would want space-age materials to save weight and an advanced hybrid engine. I just cannot see spending lots of additional cash for a machine that would be uncomfortable on long summer trips.

kehr
11-17-2010, 06:26 PM
I just cannot see spending lots of additional cash for a machine that would be uncomfortable on long summer trips.

I agree but I would not consider this to be "lots of additional cash".

sward2
11-17-2010, 06:58 PM
I was refering to the additional cash necessary to buy a new car that would have less range and fewer creature comforts. Personally, I have never been in a position to buy a new Porsche. I do not do car loans. I usually "Cherry-pick" used cars on the theory that the new car buyer always takes the biggest financial hit!

gto250us
11-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Geez, that sure is an ugly damn color.

NormInHouston
11-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Geez, that sure is an ugly damn color.

Agree! Looks like olive drab.:hmm:

Norm

TYBEECROC
11-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Looks like it will be nifty track car for those with lots of disposable income; but I suspect there will be quite a few losers who will buy it with ac & the radio added back into the package.but, I don't know how many track junkies will spend their money here when they can pick up a 2-3 year old CS and get much the same performance with some relatively easy mods. I, for one, won't be looking to trade my CS for one. By next year, you can probably find a decent '07 GT3 for this kind of money (as a friend on mine did) and get better track thrills. Just MHO...

diverdog
11-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Underwhelming in my opinion. The wheels & LSD are options on the S. I'd rather have 18's if I had my choice. 10hp is a dyno tolerance error on a 320hp car. Porsche missed the boat by not making this a 3.6l

greycroc
11-17-2010, 11:34 PM
Found these on you tube:
r5fer5VxaxU
Z4dnzlnVudQ

The Chad
11-18-2010, 08:52 AM
The R looks great except for that trunk mounted wing! If I can get one without that would be AWESOME!

Chad

Bill-banger
11-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Agree, extended spoiler is a dumb idea. And isn't the fuel tank smaller? I seem to recall my Cayman S has something like a 16 gal tank? There are just too many shortcuts in this car to make it appealing to me, and the hp boost is so mild it isn't even funny. Are the door pulls the same as the Spyder also? I agree that the Spyder looks cool, but I'd never buy one over a regular Boxster, and I wouldn't buy an 'R' over an 'S' in the Cayman either.

They are going after those that want a more 'exclusive' car and can afford several.

Bman
11-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Anyone know how much lighter the wheels on the Spyder are?

They claim an 11lb savings but I don't know what standard wheel that's based on.

FTS
11-18-2010, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't buy an 'R' over an 'S' in the Cayman either.
Actually, IMHO, the sale of the CS will take a hit as the R represents a better value. The price of the GT2 seats + wheels + LSD alone is more than the R's price premium. This is assuming the A/C and Radio are no cost options. So, basically you get more standard features for less money if were looking for those options for the CS anyway.

I agree with the rear wing, awful, the original is much better, only if it could be a little larger it would look even better. I wish they really had put on the duck-tail spoiler.

I think all of our disappointments are due to Porsche playing the price game, not truly adding noticeably more performance, at least on paper. I am sure the suspension tuning is improved, so it will be noticeable, but with the restrained power, it will leave us wanting :sleep:

Croc'ed
11-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I think some uf us may have expected a bit too much from this model. If you compare the R version to the first Cayman S (MY 2006 in US,) it's a vastly refined product and an even better value. Porsche has "answered the mail" by incorporating just about all of the favorite modifications the original model's owners made, to address its perceived shortcomings (including a significant +35 bhp increase in power output.)
Just because most of these improvements came from the corporate parts bin doesn't make them any less valid. A car is much more than the sum of its parts. Even though the R is a more track-friendly package, it's still primarily a road car. As such, I think it's a very well integrated machine that will appeal to those who desire a "sharper" version of the Cayman S, as supplied by the factory, replete with unique appointments and a full warranty.
If Porsche should ever come through with a real, hard-core "RS" version, I think they'd have to bump the price up nearer to the 911 Carrera range. But man, would THAT ever be tempting!

FTS
11-18-2010, 12:21 PM
If they had released a version with 360-380 hp dry-sump engine and GT3 chassis component, priced it close to $100K, I would have put a deposit today; no kidding! But... this is how it is and no deposit ;)

Left Hander
11-18-2010, 12:28 PM
anyone know what the base price is of the R compared to the S?

what does 'sport suspension' entail? is PASM standard ? how about sportchrono? I cannot tell from the write ups. I would think they would have combined all the suspension bells and whistles into the R as standard eq. at a 66K base price I doubt this is the case.

If the price outfitted is similar to the S with the same options I too think it will harm the S sales as folks will add AD and radio to get the few hp more and upgraded suspension.

sward2
11-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Sorry Porsche, No Sale!
I think they would have done themselves a favor to consult with our Certfiable Track Junkies before they worked up the R. It needed to be a BIG improvement over the CS to have sufficient erotic appeal for most of us.

FTS
11-18-2010, 02:27 PM
anyone know what the base price is of the R compared to the S?
$5K higher.

what does 'sport suspension' entail? is PASM standard ? how about sportchrono?

No PASM, not an option, similar to the Spyder, revised damper and springs; sport chrono/plus option.

Rod
11-18-2010, 06:34 PM
No PASM, not an option, similar to the Spyder, revised damper and springs; sport chrono/plus option.

So is the rear suspension the McPherson strut thing like today, no multilink in the rear?...Rod

KineticFlow
11-18-2010, 07:41 PM
The configurator is up on Porsche's website if you want to see what all options are included and pricing, etc... (a/c is $1760 extra)

KineticFlow
11-18-2010, 07:42 PM
They claim an 11lb savings but I don't know what standard wheel that's based on.

Wow thats quite a bit... in a Miata they say you can feel as little as a 1lb difference per rim... 2.75 could be huge.

bretster
11-18-2010, 07:45 PM
I think there is perhaps a market segment that is being overlooked here, and that is owners of 2006 and 2007 Caymans whose cars are now out (or soon to be out) of warranty. I bet there are a lot of these folks who want to stick with the mid engined layout who do DE's and such and perhaps want a new car that is more track oriented than the standard S version.

I really like this car and think that anyone who thought they were going to make a Cayman version of a GT3RS maybe got a bit ahead of themselves. Look at the history, Porsche model lines EVOLVE, and this is one step closer to the Cayman we all (or most of us anyway) want to have in our garage.

Left Hander
11-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Bretster I see your point, however I wonder if you took the extra 5k in base price and added pasm and sport chrono options to an S modelif that wouldn't be a better way to go? I would have thought sport chrono would have been std on the R

don

87turbolook911
11-19-2010, 04:43 AM
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X50aL8Bhn6o

ApexL8
11-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X50aL8Bhn6o
87turbolook911,
Here's a tip for directly embedding video into a post at the CR, for future reference. Just find the part of the URL address at YouTube after the equals sign (=), in the case of the video you posted "X50aL8Bhn6o", and enclose it in the YouTube tags and , so that it looks like this.

X50aL8Bhn6o

There's even a YouTube button included in the reply to message window http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=183&pictureid=4157, "Wrap [YT] tags around selected text" so you don't have to remember the tag code. There's also a HD YouTube button http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=183&pictureid=4158, to insert tags, but I haven't tried that one yet.

I know, I know, not a huge deal, it only saves you one mouse click and opening a new browser window at YouTube, but a neat trick nevertheless.

[hdYT]X50aL8Bhn6o

Cheers,
Chuck

CrocZilla
11-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Enjoy!

Thanks! I enjoyed that video. Makes me want to trade in my cayman :P

zornet
11-19-2010, 02:56 PM
All-right fellow Cayman Registry folks here's a few pic's of the 2011 Cayman R we've all been waiting for. Taken this morning between the hours of 8-9AM at the LA Auto Show (2+hours-ago), PCA-POC pre-open to the public event. Delayed a bit for a little PS time. Enjoy :cool2:.

http://www.pbase.com/zornet/image/130463982/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/zornet/image/130463987/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/zornet/image/130463988/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/zornet/image/130463989/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/zornet/image/130463990/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/zornet/image/130463986/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/zornet/image/130463991/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/zornet/image/130463992/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/zornet/image/130463994/original.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/zornet/image/130463996/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/zornet/image/130463983/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/zornet/image/130463984/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/zornet/image/130463985/original.jpg

zornet :)

The Chad
11-19-2010, 04:01 PM
LOL

Full leather and then no radio!

Chad

PS GREAT PICS!

Speedy
11-19-2010, 05:02 PM
The more I see and think about this car, the more I like it. It really is very similar in concept to the Spyder, which has pretty much been universally praised for how it drives. I've got to think the Cayman platform makes it all the better. :cool2:

If I were in the market for a CS now, I'd be seriously considering the R. Also, if were in a position to have a brand-new weekend track toy (and alas I'm here to tell you I am NOT!), I may well be on this as well.

S.3G
11-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Nice shots Zornet! Sorry I'm a little late with mine guys, but I stayed for the whole show. Here's a few more of the Cayman R at its debut party:

Zornet checks out the Cayman R!
http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=4160

Porsche's lightest production wheel
http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=4164

Cayman R details
http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=4172

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=4173

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=4163

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=4162

Contrasting accents
http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=4169

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=4168

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=4161

Cayman R playstation
http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=4167

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=4166

Extra room for gauges
http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=4165

Christine and Steve of Orange Coast's Autocross Team give a thumb's up for Porsche's new track weapon
http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=4171

Vu Nguyen, Paul Gregor, Manny Alban, Kurt Gibson and Jim Seastrom at the Cayman R debut
http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=382&pictureid=4170

This was a superb event - many thanks to Porsche for inviting us!

Jim

ENGNR1
11-20-2010, 01:05 AM
I think if they'd put in a 3.6 motor or pulled 350 hp, there would be enough difference to make one of these worthwhile. I trust they will have more colors than metallic Mopar 70s "Mean Green". (Maybe Plum Crazy or Mellow Yellow would do the trick.)

GT3 style seats and doorpulls are nice though, as with the Spyder. I also wish they'd done a factory-designed and installed clear engine cover with red valve covers on the engine, etc.

Croc'ed
11-20-2010, 12:20 PM
At 3:35 of the video, I presume that Mr. Cupp really meant to say 0.5 degrees additional negative camber in the rear suspension, not 5 degrees! From his description of the suspension tuning, my car's setup (Boxster Spyder springs, Bilstein sport struts, and RSS anti roll bars) is quite similar to the R's. I think it's a nearly perfect combination: both nimble and comfortable on the street, and predictable and responsive on the track.

Many folks seem to be underwhelmed by this model, but I think Porsche has created a terrific road car here. I'm curious to test drive an R model, primarily to see how it rides compared to mine, but I'm afraid of what might happen to my finances if I do...

ApexL8
11-20-2010, 12:58 PM
I can understand how many people are unimpressed with the R offering, it just doesn't seem like there was enough change to earn a separate designation. Just about everything that Porsche has done works for me, but I'm left wanting more. I must be a "die hard enthusiast".

From Manny Alban in the video posted in reply #32:
"Some of the die hard enthusiasts would like to stick the GT3 RS motor in this".
I like the contrasting bits, mirrors, side grilles. The color reminds me of BMW Phoenix Yellow, which left me nonplussed the first few times I saw it. I thought it looked like a metallic version of Zinc Chromate primer, but eventually it grew on me, probably not enough to ever want a car that color, put past the hate stage. Whether a color is "limited edition", "special order", or so-called "rare" or "desirable" has no influence on whether I want it.

The rear spoiler itself I really like, what I do not like is the way it is attached to the hatch lid with what looks to be an extra tacked on piece, an afterthought for how to actually mate it up. The overall effect is cheesy, like the impression I get from a poorly fitted aftermarket body kit. Just a wing and uprights would be much cleaner. From the absence of a button in the center stack I guess the other piece, where the movable spoiler formerly was is now stationary, but it still looks separate, not integrated.

From the same video, Tim Cupp with enticing, encouraging details:
"Retune the chassis".

"It's got thicker anti-roll bars".

"We've got about five degrees of additional negative camber in the rear".
Who'll be the first to retrofit springs, dampers, and suspension parts?

Did anybody stick their nose under the car to see if those sway bars are adjustable? Might be an interesting alternative to aftermarket bars.

How did they get extra camber? Hopefully their solution would also work retrofitted to older models.

Can anyone confirm or deny the "track pack" rumors? Those supposed parts too, half cage, extinguisher mount, could come in very handy for cars already on the road.

I think anybody who picks up one of these for light track duty, like DE, is going to be very pleased with their choice. I have faith that Porsche has made the entire package work better than the sum of it's parts. Unfortunately I couldn't live without A/C or tunes, so I couldn't go full monty and get the lightest available car.

Chuck

diverdog
11-20-2010, 02:10 PM
The performance changes are all good, just not enough to move the car up the food chain. Most likely it will return the Cayman to the status of the best handeling factory offer over the Boxter spyder. A 400hp 3.8 DFI would make the car a 997 GT3 killer so ur never gonna see that.

Mr. Cupp has a point about more - camber but the car needs it in the front not the rear. As to how they got it they just moved the adjuster cam -.5 degrees more when they speced the factory setting.

It made me sick to hear all the track talk when Porsche voids your warranty when you track it. More public relation BS.

Santa Fe
11-20-2010, 08:59 PM
It made me sick to hear all the track talk when Porsche voids your warranty when you track it. More public relation BS.

Where did that come from? Perhaps if one modified their car and it led to issues or worse the owner tried to hide the modifications. But Porsche dealers are generally very supportive of those who track their cars. First rule is to develop a great relationship with the dealer.

L8Apx
11-20-2010, 09:05 PM
The rear spoiler itself I really like, what I do not like is the way it is attached to the hatch lid with what looks to be an extra tacked on piece, an afterthought for how to actually mate it up. The overall effect is cheesy, like the impression I get from a poorly fitted aftermarket body kit. Just a wing and uprights would be much cleaner. From the absence of a button in the center stack I guess the other piece, where the movable spoiler formerly was is now stationary, but it still looks separate, not integrated.

Couldn't have said it better myself! It looks like they removed the motor from the original spoiler and just fixed it in place. Two cheesy spoilers is not better than one.

On another note:
Manny - great job on that interview. The camera work and editing are first rate too.

Doug

diverdog
11-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Most Porsche dealers are very supportive and even enthustiastic about about tracking Porsche cars. I love the dealer that sold me my car. However Porsche NA is not supportive of DE when it comes to the cars warranty. The way it's written, if you take your car to the track the warranty is voided period. Even if the car is bone stock. I had a very pointed discussion with Porsche NA legal and technical representatives in an arbitration hearing in which they stated the cars are not intended to be driven on the track no matter what the advertising implies.

I ended up replacing the engine in my CS as it suffered the notorious #6 rod bearing failure at a DE. I have continued to DE the car with the TTP oil pump mod on the new engine I payed for. Something Porsche could have added to the car to avoid a known issue in the first place.

I just torques me off when I hear Porsche reps participating in a conversation touting the cars track ablity or seeing factory videos of the CS or other Porsche on a track. If it's a street vechicle intended to be driven at street speeds in the US IE <70mph don't show it on a race track in advertisments. Show it as it's intended to be used beging driven on the street at legal speeds.

Sorry for the sour grapes as that's not what this thread is about but if you drive your Porsche on the track be prepared to pay to have it fixed because Porsche has the legal right to denigh any waranty claim.

Did I mention I love my CS but I'll never buy another Porsche?

FTS
11-21-2010, 12:10 AM
DD, I share your sentiments to a degree about Porsche's non-supportive attitude for tracking, but...

1- tracking might mean so many things that it just cannot be supported with a off-the-shelf warranty agreement. An optional warranty agreement that can be purchased separately would be quite prohibitive I suspect, but may be one day they'll try that similar to track insurance.

2- From the very first day, Porsche said, the 987 is not for racing purposes. We take it to the track knowing that. Although I sympathize with your engine issue, not pleasant at all, you are responsible for your actions. I drive mine knowing I cannot push certain limits with this engine and the car overall. One thing I avoid regardless how much I want, is putting on slick tires for the track. I haven't had a single issue because of tracking except one front control arm bushing. Yes, it does limit the amount of fun I have compared to some other cars, but it was my choice to buy the Cayman. If I had a GT3, even then, I know it is not for racing; I would still stay within certain limits.

3- Although I knew what was coming, in the back of my mind, I though the "R" designation will finally mean I can take one to the track without worrying about tires, engine or transmission. So, my disappointment is more about Porsche still sticking to their guns in not giving the CS what it should have. Holding back engineering and technology just drives me crazy. But I cannot totally fault Porsche, they know where they make money, selling 200-250 Caymans a month is not enough to change that, a double edge sword I guess.

Right now, the CR is priced in such a way that it is no longer price-competitve against the BMWs, hence I do not think this model will do anything to increase sales.

We have the power of voting with our $$$ plain and simple, and I am voting a big "NO!" for this CR.

beez
11-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Can we please get his back on topic?

Thanks.

If you look at Porsche's offerings from a historical perspective, it's the RS designation that denotes a truly track-worthy car, as in - Carrera RS, RS America, GT3RS, etc. The Cayman R looks to me to be a "Club Sport" type vehicle - not a track car. I can see why some might be disappointed, but I think those that are had very unrealistic expectations in terms of what Porsche would offer in the Cayman range. Expecting Porsche to produce a 385+ HP track car Cayman "whatever" considering their current top-of-the-line Carrera GTS road car just got bumped up to 408 HP, means you're living in fantasyland, given Porsche's current marketing and model line-up, imo.

Crocagator
11-21-2010, 08:00 AM
I think there is perhaps a market segment that is being overlooked here, and that is owners of 2006 and 2007 Caymans whose cars are now out (or soon to be out) of warranty. I bet there are a lot of these folks who want to stick with the mid engined layout who do DE's and such and perhaps want a new car that is more track oriented than the standard S version.

I really like this car and think that anyone who thought they were going to make a Cayman version of a GT3RS maybe got a bit ahead of themselves. Look at the history, Porsche model lines EVOLVE, and this is one step closer to the Cayman we all (or most of us anyway) want to have in our garage.

I totally agree...take the new Boxster Spyder for instance...it is a great "looking" car...but as far as the difference from the Boxster S in performance enhancements they are minor differences...a few more horse power, some suspension tuning and more importantly "weight reduction"...they made it a cool car with the addition of the great seats, and the canvas top, special body work, etc. Porsche may have fallen short here on this website, but this is a very rough crowd...I think they will do well and I personally like it...the wife actually like the puke green color...go figure!

The Chad
11-21-2010, 09:46 AM
the wife actually like the puke green color...go figure!

Yeah mine too.... She is already talking about trading up and planning a trip to the dealer around Xmax time.

Chad

ApexL8
11-21-2010, 06:04 PM
I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but I'm kind of PO'd that Porsche chose the name Cayman R. Very selfish of me, but I've grown accustomed to using the shorthand CR to mean Cayman Register, but now that term has gotten hijacked.

Chuck

Gator Bite
11-21-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm a little late to the party guys. I just returned today from a week in the Caribbean. I couldn't wait to see all of the posts here.

S3.G, Zornet, Manny, Vu and Tim. Thanks for all of the great material. I've really enjoyed reading up. You guys rock.

I think some uf us may have expected a bit too much from this model. If you compare the R version to the first Cayman S (MY 2006 in US,) it's a vastly refined product and an even better value. Porsche has "answered the mail" by incorporating just about all of the favorite modifications the original model's owners made, to address its perceived shortcomings (including a significant +35 bhp increase in power output.)
Just because most of these improvements came from the corporate parts bin doesn't make them any less valid. A car is much more than the sum of its parts. Even though the R is a more track-friendly package, it's still primarily a road car. As such, I think it's a very well integrated machine that will appeal to those who desire a "sharper" version of the Cayman S, as supplied by the factory, replete with unique appointments and a full warranty.

I agree Dave. I am actually pretty excited about this model, maybe because my long history as a Porsche fan has given me appropriate expectations. When I think that this car weighs less than and has 35 more horsepower than my already very enjoyable, and what I consider to be pretty fast 2007 Cayman S, I just can't help but be impressed.

Sorry Porsche, No Sale!
I think they would have done themselves a favor to consult with our Certfiable Track Junkies before they worked up the R. It needed to be a BIG improvement over the CS to have sufficient erotic appeal for most of us.

I don't think they are looking to us current owners to trade our cars in sooner, I think they are looking to pull new customers and keep the car exciting enough so when it is time to trade in, we keep coming back. Personally I am pleased that the improvement are incrimental and evolutionary. If the changes were revolutionary, if they gave the Cayman R 395 horsepower, then your car and mine would be pretty undesirable and worthless, therefore preventing our trade in and continued patronage.

I agree....

I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but I'm kind of PO'd that Porsche chose the name Cayman R. Very selfish of me, but I've grown accustomed to using the shorthand CR to mean Cayman Register, but now that term has gotten hijacked.

Chuck

Oh man, I didn't even think of that..... :eek2: We'll have to find a way to deal with it....

Could it be that they name the car for us, the Cayman Register....? :wink:

BruceT
11-21-2010, 09:09 PM
GatorBite, your statement -

I don't think they are looking to us current owners to trade our cars in sooner, I think they are looking to pull new customers and keep the car exciting enough so when it is time to trade in, we keep coming back. Personally I am pleased that the improvement are incrimental and evolutionary. If the changes were revolutionary, if they gave the Cayman R 395 horsepower, then your car and mine would be pretty undesirable and worthless, therefore preventing our trade in and continued patronage."

- is right on.

If I were ordering a Cayman now vs 4 years ago, I would choose the CR as it is closer to the car I would want, though I've owned enough Porsches without AC or decent radio that I would add that all back in. Will I trade a 2006 CS with 20K miles on it (with resale very poor compared with initial cost) which has also been upgraded in a number of ways to make it perform better and be more reliable on the track. for a CR? Absolutely not at this time. even if power had come in at 350bhp!

I agree the CR should have probably been called a Clubsport as the old 911R was really something beyond the 911S at the time. The new CR should have had at least 350 bhp-probably not safe in Porsche's view with that likely exceeding the performance of the Carrera S, etc. The CR will not have the real engines and factory suspension parts until the demand of street and especially race versions of the 911 taper off to the point where there is seen to be equivalent and growing markets for the CR that will eclipse profits from the 911. Can you really blame Porsche. The 911 is a great car too!

Gator Bite
11-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Check out the web special here: http://www.porsche.com/microsite/cayman-r/default.aspx

Special thanks to KineticFlow. He shared this information, but unfortunately it came before the embargo that Porsche had asked us to respect, so we removed it.

Gator Bite
11-22-2010, 04:42 PM
The new Porsche CEO Matthias Mueller addresses the media at the world premiere of the 2010 Cayman R at the Los Angeles Auto Show Wednesday morning.

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=387&pictureid=4182

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=387&pictureid=4181

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=387&pictureid=4180

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=387&pictureid=4175

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=387&pictureid=4176

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=387&pictureid=4174

More here: http://caymanregister.org/album.php?albumid=387

stevecolletti
11-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Check out the web special here: http://www.porsche.com/microsite/cayman-r/default.aspx

Special thanks to KineticFlow. He shared this information, but unfortunately it came before the embargo that Porsche had asked us to respect, so we removed it.
Thanks for all the info, Mike.
I just wish 1) that I hadn't gotten used to PCCBs and Alcantara/Leather interior and 2) that I could choose black or silver accents, no matter what color the car is.
The R will replace my 01 Boxster S daily driver. For the options I want, this car is less expensive than an S alternative, and has the Spyder suspension that I really wanted.

Gator Bite
11-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all the info, Mike.
I just wish 1) that I hadn't gotten used to PCCBs and Alcantara/Leather interior and 2) that I could choose black or silver accents, no matter what color the car is.
The R will replace my 01 Boxster S daily driver. For the options I want, this car is less expensive than an S alternative, and has the Spyder suspension that I really wanted.

Will this car be used for street, track, or both? What would your ideal configuration be Steve? What color combo do you like? Porsche is capable of delivering almost anything you want, at a price of course. Most dealerships here in the USA are not fully aware of the many options available through the 'Exclusive' department. Let us know what you're looking for, ideally.

stevecolletti
11-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Hi Mike!

Will this car be used for street, track, or both?
90+% street, though I've tracked every car I've owned, except the RS -- so far.

What would your ideal configuration be Steve?
See attached pdf - built by Sascha Glaeser at the show
I hate paying that much for leather and alcantara. It should be one option.. say $4500 for both.

I should have added that DME and Exhaust will be aftermarket - thanks for that, too.

What color combo do you like?
Aqua Blue with black accents (if it were available)

Porsche is capable of delivering almost anything you want, at a price of course. Most dealerships here in the USA are not fully aware of the many options available through the 'Exclusive' department. Let us know what you're looking for, ideally.
We've been to the factory... seen the blue peacock hide interior... but to America? That seems to be the problem - Porsche US.

At this point, I have to look at what I need, versus what I want. Some of this may end up being bought from Suncoast, after the fact.

Left Hander
11-23-2010, 06:53 AM
Steve,

Isay up front, this is none of my business and my question is more to understand the models better,

I see you added AC so with the base price difference and the AC addition, couldn't you take an S model, do the suspension mods yourself or even go with pasm and sport chrono plus with sport exhaust ? Seems the 8K difference would permit this.

When I crunch the wgt to hp numbers between the S (320 hp) and the R (330 hp) they come out very similar at 9.3 versus 8.65, only .65 difference and this will be less with the AC.

I compared the numbers between my 08 cayman s 295 hp (10.09) and 03 boxster S 258 hp (11.82) for a reference frame and the 1.7 difference can be felt on the long straights for sure, but is not huge. I wonder how much difference 0.6 is going to feel.

Manny Alban
11-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Should be interesting to see how this model ages. When Porsche came out with the RS America, it was a North America model only and many argued it was not worthy of the RS name. Remember, Europe had an RS that had increased horsepower as well as many other unique features, the US model had the same power as the C2. As time progressed however, the RS America seemed to grow and grow. Now they command a significant premium over a similiarly equipped C2.

What I remember hearing about the RS America was quite funny. Enthusiasts had been clamoring for a car with no sunroof, no AC, no radio, but just LSD. I spoke to a Porsche rep back in 1992 and he told me he could get me a great deal on a RS America as long as I didn't want AC, radio or sunroof. He said he had alot of those sitting on lots because people wanted those options included. Now those minimally equipped cars are the rarest to find.

Crocagator
11-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Steve,

Isay up front, this is none of my business and my question is more to understand the models better,

I see you added AC so with the base price difference and the AC addition, couldn't you take an S model, do the suspension mods yourself or even go with pasm and sport chrono plus with sport exhaust ? Seems the 8K difference would permit this.

When I crunch the wgt to hp numbers between the S (320 hp) and the R (330 hp) they come out very similar at 9.3 versus 8.65, only .65 difference and this will be less with the AC.

I compared the numbers between my 08 cayman s 295 hp (10.09) and 03 boxster S 258 hp (11.82) for a reference frame and the 1.7 difference can be felt on the long straights for sure, but is not huge. I wonder how much difference 0.6 is going to feel.

I agree with your assessment as far as performance goes...
but there is something to be said for having it all done on the factory level (LSD, suspension, seats, etc.)...I have had my Cayman S for just under 2 years and have not "completed" all of the mods that I want to do...coming straight from the factory, I drive home the car the way I would want my current car to be with no hassles...

Gator Bite
11-23-2010, 08:52 AM

Well, I guess it all depends if you really want the options and features that the Cayman R comes with. If you do, then the Cayman R is actually a much better value than a Cayman S. Let's option them out to be as close as possible to each other and do the math:

Cayman S/R Comparison:

Options & PriceCayman SCayman RVehicle Base Price$61,500$66,300P45 Design Sport Package$6,200-R-19" forged lightweight wheelsin P45-R-Mirrors, side vents, wheels, model designation in contrasting colorin P45-R-Front and Rear Porsche Aerokitin P45-R-Sport Bucket Seats$2,990-R-Limited Slip Differential$950-R-Side Stripe with Model Designation$775-R-Aluminum DoorsN/A-R-20mm lower suspension with stiffer springs/barsN/A-R-330 BHP without modding carN/A-R-Air Conditioning-S-$1,760Grand Total:$72,415$68,060

So, we can see that an optioned up Cayman S is actually $4,355 more expensive than a Cayman R with A/C, and we are NOT getting the lightweight doors, door panels, added power, or the trick suspension that drops the car 20 mm and stiffens everything up. Add in $1,000 for an aftermarket flash, $5,000 for aftermarket suspension work and God knows how much for the doors and we would have $10,000+ more into an optioned up Cayman S.

Now arguably, if you go aftermarket you might be able to surpass the Cayman R suspension and engine performance. But as any of us who have modified our cars can tell you, there is always a downside to aftermarket mods, and often times warranty complications. If you like to leave the modification to the factory, then the Cayman R is a sick package.

On the plus side, at least you can use magnetic DE numbers on the Cayman S. Don't try that on a Cayman R. :wink:

Crocagator
11-23-2010, 09:08 AM
I saw in one of the videos during the premier (I believe it was Manny interview) that you CANNOT order the doors, suspension parts etc. as an option on an S model...to install them later is just crazy talk...
I really like the R package...make mine Red with Black accents please...

Crocagator
11-23-2010, 09:09 AM
I would use static numbers instead...they stick better anyway! :tongue: LMAO...

Gator Bite
11-23-2010, 09:12 AM
I agree with your assessment as far as performance goes...
but there is something to be said for having it all done on the factory level (LSD, suspension, seats, etc.)...I have had my Cayman S for just under 2 years and have not "completed" all of the mods that I want to do...coming straight from the factory, I drive home the car the way I would want my current car to be with no hassles...

Looks like our posts crossed while I was authoring my long comparision. Very well said Tom. You and me are likely to drop $5,000 just in seats, then another $2,000 on an LSD, and every time we do another mod it's going to be a hassle and expense. Not to mention, if we ever sell our cars, our resale values will not reflect any of those mods. Mods are like throwing money away at resale. If I wee buying a used CS, and I found one that was all modified, it would be less desirable to me than one that was bone stock. Not so with a package like the Cayman R.

Gator Bite
11-23-2010, 09:16 AM
I like the package too. It won't send me to the dealer for a trade in, quite honestly nothing would. It's just not time for me to trade up yet, and I do love my Cayman S. But there will come a day when I do walk in the dealer for a new Porsche, and when I do I'll be looking over this Cayman R real closely. This car appeals to me big time.

I would use static numbers instead...they stick better anyway! :tongue: LMAO...

Hey man, there are so many people on the internet bitching about the car, I felt left out. I needed to throw something negative in there.... :grin: (LMAO too)

Left Hander
11-23-2010, 09:36 AM
excellent points about factory installed options versus after market mods, resale, and getting it all done at once - thanks guys - proves the benefits once again of the discussion value here.

Santa Fe
11-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Consider resale value in your comparison. All tracked cars are going to take a bigger depreciation hit than street only cars but an owner modified car will take a larger hit. Buying a track special from the factory and leaving it alone will most like be the least costly all in/all out cost if you just have to have a track car.

The other "cost" to compare is whatever value you assign to comfort. The CR will probably drive some folks nuts if they try to use it as a daily driver and a weekend toy. So think about the other six days of the week and how the car will fit into your life when pricing the two.

Gator Bite
11-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Where does the 121 lbs of weight savings come from? Let's jot it down:

Savings AreaWeight Loss (lbs)Aluminum Doors and Light Weight Door Panels33 lbs.
Composite Sport Bucket Seats26 lbs.
Air Conditioning26 lbs.
Fuel Tank / Other16 lbs.
Light Weight Drop Forged Wheels11 lbs.
Radio and Speakers7 lbs.
Removal of Storage Compartments2 lbs.
Total Weight Savings:
121 lbs.

My 2007 Cayman S is rated at 295 BHP, and weighs in around 2,950 lbs. So lets say it pulls 10+ lbs with each horsepower. If so, dropping 121 pounds from my car would be like picking up 12.1 BHP, but even more because 11 lbs of this is rotational mass (in the wheels).

beez
11-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Add the lightweight battery to save another 22lbs.

If the loss of weight "adds" 12.5 HP... then add that to the 10 more HP from the new CS and then add to this the 25 more than the '06-'08 cars, and you have quite a potent little package imo, no matter what weird color it is...

Speedy
11-23-2010, 03:45 PM
If the loss of weight "adds" 12.5 HP... then add that to the 10 more HP from the new CS and then add to this the 25 more than the '06-'08 cars, and you have quite a potent little package imo, no matter what weird color it is...

Exactly what I've been thinking. It would be really cool if our dealer had a CR around to test drive, so I could feel the difference first-hand, but I don't think it's going to happen.

As far as the weird color goes, my current hair-brained scheme is peridot is the birthstone for August, which is my wife's birthday, so maybe I can convince her we NEED to buy one! :tongue:

Gator Bite
11-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Add the lightweight battery to save another 22lbs.

Ooh, I forgot about that. The light weight lithium ion battery is available in this baby. So for another $1,700, you can increase that weight savings to 143 lbs.

stevecolletti
11-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Sorry, work took me away for a while (those bastards!)... and it took a while to catch up with the discussion.

Yes, almost everything could be done in the aftermarket... or I could buy a car that already has had a GT3 motor and suspension installed. But what makes Porsche special to me is the the fact that most things have been designed/engineered, tested and built to perform a certain way - and are still performing that way at 100,000+ miles. At its broadest, it's what separates a kit car (or an early Viper) from a quality production car; it isn't the quality of the parts used as much as the way they are integrated. I'm not saying it can't be done as well as the factory or better, or for that matter, that everything Porsche has done will be as I want it to be, but the less I have to change the better, especially on a car I plan to drive daily.

The R will replace my (bought new) 2001 Boxster S that started life with only 250 HP (and according to my dyno sheets, far less). Almost immediately, I chipped it (I hate eGas), added headers, a K&N filter insert, a short-shifter and 996 GT3 seats... nothing really major (+31HP, +32LBs with 93 octane, +22/+29 on 92 octane - who knows on the current 91-octane swill), but it made the car mine, and just a bit better than stock - until the 2004 or so came along. My plan after that was to wait for the engine to get tired and upgrade to a 330HP, 996 3.4 bolt-in, but the 3.2 never wore out.

So, from my perspective, anything over 300hp is a huge improvement (and late model Caymans can always take a 3.8 X51 as a bolt-in if I must have more HP).

What I wanted was more HP than what I have, the suspension right (and not-PASM) and lighter wheels (I have no idea why most Porsche wheels are so heavy. My RS's wheels weigh 34 pounds more than Champion RS98s - that are 1/2" wider in front!).

When the Spyder came out, I wanted Porsche to do the same thing with the Cayman. I certainly would have preferred it to be more (like a 904 or 246 Dino-look rear hatch in aluminum, not to mention the GT3 engine), but it hit all my must haves in a (hopefully) fully engineered package at a reasonable price.

I don't really care about the Aerokit, though I'd really prefer being able to pick either silver or black, since the factory is making both. I wish that the GT2 seats worked for me, but they sit too high in the car for me. I wish they hadn't shrunk the fuel tank (I'm trying to get the Cup car tank installed in my RS), since the majority of that 'savings' is by not filling the tank. And I'll probably put the Voltphreaks battery in at some point, saving another 8-10 pounds and $500 over the Porsche Lithium.

That's where I'm coming from.

And I appreciate all the questions/discussion. Thanks!

Gator Bite
11-23-2010, 07:17 PM
It's great to have you as a part of our group Steve. Welcome. I can tell there's not turning back for you. You are a Cayman fan like the rest of us, whether you realize it yet or not.... :wink:

Excellent points, all of which I agree with. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about it once you drive one.

Crocagator
11-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Steve...an official "welcome the the swamp"...

stevecolletti
11-23-2010, 09:54 PM
It's great to have you as a part of our group Steve. Welcome. I can tell there's not turning back for you. You are a Cayman fan like the rest of us, whether you realize it yet or not.... :wink:

Excellent points, all of which I agree with. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about it once you drive one.

Steve...an official "welcome the the swamp"...

Thanks! I'm happy to be here.

Gator Bite
11-30-2010, 04:22 PM
If you haven't already seen it, check out the Cayman R Brochure (http://caymanregister.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=42).

Blitzkrieg
11-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Have to say I agree with the 'R' being one heck of a package. If it had been available when I was in the market there would have been no contest as to which car I would have purchased.

On the topic of weight savings and fuel capacity. The US configurator lists the 'R' at 16.9 gallons, the same as the 'S'. All other countries that I've looked at show the 54l (14.3 gallon) tank, any chance there is an error with the US site?

I only bring this up because the reduced fuel capacity is included when discussing weight savings on the vehicle.

For those who are curious
A gallon of gas weighs ~6.42 lbs.
The 54 liter tank is 10 liters or 2.64 gallons less capacity than the 'S'.
If the US cars do indeed have the 64 liter(16.9gal)/"S" capacity,
The US 'R' will weigh (6.42lbs*2.64gal) 17lbs more than their foreign cousins (with a full tank). Yes you could always just track the car a couple gallons down, and many do, but the discrepency on the website made me curious.

I also have a bit of confusion about PDK and the configurator (maybe better in a different thread). I am wondering as this vehicle comes without stereo, is it possible to get PDK and Sport Plus mode without also adding back PCM/weight?

Gator Bite
11-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Have to say I agree with the 'R' being one heck of a package. If it had been available when I was in the market there would have been no contest as to which car I would have purchased.

On the topic of weight savings and fuel capacity. The US configurator lists the 'R' at 16.9 gallons, the same as the 'S'. All other countries that I've looked at show the 54l (14.3 gallon) tank, any chance there is an error with the US site?

I only bring this up because the reduced fuel capacity is included when discussing weight savings on the vehicle.

For those who are curious
A gallon of gas weighs ~6.42 lbs.
The 54 liter tank is 10 liters or 2.64 gallons less capacity than the 'S'.
If the US cars do indeed have the 64 liter(16.9gal)/"S" capacity,
The US 'R' will weigh (6.42lbs*2.64gal) 17lbs more than their foreign cousins (with a full tank). Yes you could always just track the car a couple gallons down, and many do, but the discrepency on the website made me curious.

I also have a bit of confusion about PDK and the configurator (maybe better in a different thread). I am wondering as this vehicle comes without stereo, is it possible to get PDK and Sport Plus mode without also adding back PCM/weight?

I'm sure that's a typo. The R has a smaller tank, 10 liters smaller, to 14.3 gallons.

I'll see what I can find out about Sport Plus mode.

Gator Bite
11-30-2010, 08:30 PM

I've found an answer for you. If the car is equipped with PDK (option code 250) and Sport Chrono Package (option code 639), you get the 'Sport Plus' button for Sport Plus mode and launch control.

Sport Chrono Plus (640) only adds recorded lap times in the PCM, and can only be ordered when combined with PCM (P23). You do NOT need PCM to get the 'Sport Plus' button on the PDK. But you do need 'Sport Chrono Package'.

Gator Bite
12-01-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm sure that's a typo. The R has a smaller tank, 10 liters smaller, to 14.3 gallons.

I'll see what I can find out about Sport Plus mode.

Scratch this post. I just heard directly from our friends at Porsche. The US version of the Cayman R will have the Cayman S fuel tank. The ROW Cayman R will have the smaller fuel tank.

The printed information that I retrieved my earlier answer from is inaccurate. Thank you for the clarification Porsche...!!! (They are always reading, and we appreciate their support.)

Blitzkrieg
12-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Gator Bite,
Thanks for clarifying those items, great news on PDK as (IMHO) Sport Plus mode is essential with that transmission and its nice to be able to have that without adding the weight of PCM. Interesting to see that our US vehicles will indeed have normal fuel capacity. Honestly I think thats a good thing, its much easier to underfill a tank to save weight when at the track, but for those who use the car on the street more range is always welcome.

Gator Bite
12-01-2010, 01:24 PM
There is a lot of good info in this thread, but it is getting fragmented. So I've put all the best bits together in a FAQ. Here you go: http://caymanregister.org/faq.php?faq=models#faq_2012caymanr

KS-CS
12-02-2010, 06:31 PM
This just in (I think) . . . Hans-Jürgen Wöhler, chief of Porsche mid-engined cars, weighs in on how the Cayman R differs from the CS and Spyder:

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/porsche-lists-how-cayman-r-is-more-dynamic-than-its-other-models/

Among other things he mentions that the CR will have 5-10% stiffer spring rates, and shocks and sway bars that are "exclusive" to the Cayman R, allowing Porsche to exploit 100% of the Cayman chassis' potential (vs. 90% in the Spyder). So there . . . :tongue:

Gator Bite
12-02-2010, 06:59 PM
This just in (I think) . . . Hans-Jürgen Wöhler, chief of Porsche mid-engined cars, weighs in on how the Cayman R differs from the CS and Spyder:

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/porsche-lists-how-cayman-r-is-more-dynamic-than-its-other-models/

Among other things he mentions that the CR will have 5-10% stiffer spring rates, and shocks and sway bars that are "exclusive" to the Cayman R, allowing Porsche to exploit 100% of the Cayman chassis' potential (vs. 90% in the Spyder). So there . . . :tongue:

Excellent information Andrew. Thanks for sharing. Very hot...!!!

On another note, I added some video to our Cayman R FAQ (http://caymanregister.org/faq.php?faq=models#faq_2012caymanr). Check it out.

bretster
12-02-2010, 07:01 PM

I found this statement interesting...

"Porsche predicts that it will be able to sell one R for every five S variants"

I would have thought that there would be fewer R versions than that for some reason.

stevecolletti
12-03-2010, 08:44 PM
I found this statement interesting...

"Porsche predicts that it will be able to sell one R for every five S variants"

I would have thought that there would be fewer R versions than that for some reason.
Based on current Cayman sales, that's still a pretty small number.

ApexL8
12-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Among other things he mentions that the CR will have 5-10% stiffer spring rates, and shocks and sway bars that are "exclusive" to the Cayman R, allowing Porsche to exploit 100% of the Cayman chassis' potential...OK, who's going to do the dirty work and see if these new bits will bolt up to older cars?

GilFrank
12-09-2010, 11:40 AM
FWIW, I found an available build date in June. This was yesterday afternoon and I suspect it will not last long as the allocation seems to be very low.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

Gil Frank

JamieD
01-12-2011, 03:35 PM
That color appears to be very close to "beautiful" Delphi Green (L99A) on my '73 914! Almost glows in the dark, but other drivers can see me coming!:cool2:

Crocagator
01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
OK, who's going to do the dirty work and see if these new bits will bolt up to older cars?

If you wait long enough...Porsche will sell you anything...I just received an email from Suncoast (very aggressive parts department) regarding the new Boxster Spyder suspension "Retofit" that is now available...they are calling in a conversion...I call it marketing 101...actually not a bad price for what they are giving you...

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9872SPS.html?Category_Code=98722susp

KS-CS
01-12-2011, 05:39 PM
If you wait long enough...Porsche will sell you anything...I just received an email from Suncoast (very aggressive parts department) regarding the new Boxster Spyder suspension "Retofit" that is now available...they are calling in a conversion...I call it marketing 101...actually not a bad price for what they are giving you...

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9872SPS.html?Category_Code=98722susp

Curious why they only mention it fitting Gen 2 Boxsters - is there any reason that it wouldn't fit Gen 1 Boxsters, and Caymans?

Gator Bite
02-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Curious why they only mention it fitting Gen 2 Boxsters - is there any reason that it wouldn't fit Gen 1 Boxsters, and Caymans?

I wasn't aware of any suspension differences between the two. I'll have to do some digging.

stevecolletti
02-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Two things I don't like about Cayman R:

1) I can't get the Cayman R in Aqua Blue with black trim - or with all the silver bits in body color for that matter
2) The Sport Seats (the Sport Buckets are way too high for me in the Cayman/Boxster) don't come with the Alcantara inserts, even though they are standard on the GT3 that way.

So... my options are to buy the Aqua Blue car and have the silver bits replace/repainted (extra cost, obviously), or pick another color - probably Platinum Silver, even though I've gotten a little tired of silver/gray/black cars.

I've seen Platinum Silver on dealer lots, but not in all lighting. My wife's Boxster S is Arctic Silver and a friend has a Meteor Gray Boxster, so I'm pretty familiar with those colors.
Does anyone here have any real experience with Platinum Silver?

Since the seat inserts will not be alcantara, I'm rethinking spending the more than $8K on Leather and Alcantara interior bits.

It's all a little frustrating when you see all the silly things that Porsche lets you customize, and consider that this is a $86-92K MSRP car.

Thanks

Gator Bite
02-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Two things I don't like about Cayman R:

1) I can't get the Cayman R in Aqua Blue with black trim - or with all the silver bits in body color for that matter
2) The Sport Seats (the Sport Buckets are way too high for me in the Cayman/Boxster) don't come with the Alcantara inserts, even though they are standard on the GT3 that way.

So... my options are to buy the Aqua Blue car and have the silver bits replace/repainted (extra cost, obviously), or pick another color - probably Platinum Silver, even though I've gotten a little tired of silver/gray/black cars.

I've seen Platinum Silver on dealer lots, but not in all lighting. My wife's Boxster S is Arctic Silver and a friend has a Meteor Gray Boxster, so I'm pretty familiar with those colors.
Does anyone here have any real experience with Platinum Silver?

Since the seat inserts will not be alcantara, I'm rethinking spending the more than $8K on Leather and Alcantara interior bits.

It's all a little frustrating when you see all the silly things that Porsche lets you customize, and consider that this is a $86-92K MSRP car.

Thanks

Steve,

Did you ask your dealer about the "Porsche Exlusive" department and the services available there. This department can take your selections well beyond the basic option list. It appears that US dealers are not real familiar with these services. Check this out: http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/personalisation/personalcustomerconsultation/

stevecolletti
02-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Steve,

Did you ask your dealer about the "Porsche Exlusive" department and the services available there. This department can take your selections well beyond the basic option list. It appears that US dealers are not real familiar with these services. Check this out: http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/personalisation/personalcustomerconsultation/
Mike,

My dealer told me about it.
He's tried to get the alcantara seat inserts for two other customers. It took a while but Porsche came back and said 'no'.
As for the color and trim combos, I've exchanged emails with Sascha (and you), and that also was a 'no'.
Another 'fix' for my color issue would be if Porsche allowed paint to sample.

Thanks for looking out for me. :)

Gator Bite
02-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Mike,

My dealer told me about it.
He's tried to get the alcantara seat inserts for two other customers. It took a while but Porsche came back and said 'no'.
As for the color and trim combos, I've exchanged emails with Sascha (and you), and that also was a 'no'.
Another 'fix' for my color issue would be if Porsche allowed paint to sample.

Thanks for looking out for me. :)

I checked with my contact at PCNA, and he told me it couldn't be done through the normal order process. As I understand it, the Exclusive department can do anything, for a price of course. But it appears that not many people here in the USA (including the dealerships) know much about the services. I've been there, in Germany and saw the Exclusive department. They are basically like an aftermarket shop. If I were you, I'd write to them directly to see what's possible.

stevecolletti
02-18-2011, 10:49 PM
I checked with my contact at PCNA, and he told me it couldn't be done through the normal order process. As I understand it, the Exclusive department can do anything, for a price of course. But it appears that not many people here in the USA (including the dealerships) know much about the services. I've been there, in Germany and saw the Exclusive department. They are basically like an aftermarket shop. If I were you, I'd write to them directly to see what's possible.
I'll give it a shot.
Thanks!

stevecolletti
03-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks, Mike

According to Sascha and my dealer, "the Alcantara Seat Inlays for the P77 Sport Seats have the Z-offer code 25801." and Sascha has confirmed that I can get Alcantara Sun Visors (for only :rolleyes2: $745).

Also, I received an email from my dealer (quoting a Porsche notice): Paint to Sample for Boxster Spyder, Cayman, Cayman S and Cayman R
Please note that paint to sample is now available for the following models:

Boxster Spyder
Cayman
Cayman S
Cayman R

All Boxster Spyder paint to sample order must be placed no later than March 25, 2011.
I'm trying to confirm that.

Thanks, again

JSF101
03-17-2011, 05:52 PM
hope you're right on the PTS!

I've got visions of a Speed Yellow Spyder!

Thanks, Mike

According to Sascha and my dealer, "the Alcantara Seat Inlays for the P77 Sport Seats have the Z-offer code 25801." and Sascha has confirmed that I can get Alcantara Sun Visors (for only :rolleyes2: $745).

Also, I received an email from my dealer (quoting a Porsche notice):
Paint to Sample for Boxster Spyder, Cayman, Cayman S and Cayman R
Please note that paint to sample is now available for the following models:

Boxster Spyder
Cayman
Cayman S
Cayman R

All Boxster Spyder paint to sample order must be placed no later than March 25, 2011.
I'm trying to confirm that.

Thanks, again

stevecolletti
03-18-2011, 02:30 PM
hope you're right on the PTS!

I've got visions of a Speed Yellow Spyder!
Confirmation from another source:
http://www.dspyda.com/dspyda/Home/Entries/2011/3/18_Paint_to_Sample_Officially_Available!!!.html (http://www.dspyda.com/dspyda/Home/Entries/2011/3/18_Paint_to_Sample_Officially_Available%21%21%21.h tml)

stevecolletti
03-23-2011, 05:23 PM
My order is placed. I'm waiting for PAG to (hopefully) approve my Paint-to-Sample color. My backup is Platinum Silver.

Thanks, Mike and everyone.

Gator Bite
03-23-2011, 05:41 PM
My order is placed. I'm waiting for PAG to (hopefully) approve my Paint-to-Sample color. My backup is Platinum Silver.

You're welcome. I am very excited for you. I can't wait until you get it, to see what you think.

JSF101
03-23-2011, 10:20 PM
what color are you getting?

stevecolletti
03-24-2011, 02:40 PM
what color are you getting?
I'm trying for the new "liquid metal chrome blue" that the 918 RSR is painted (no orange accents).
http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/NewsCenter/NewsCenterDetails.aspx?mmysid=3963

I was told that the 918 Spyder color would (likely) not be available until 918 Spyders start being built (Nov 2013), but I think (hoping?) that the RSR should be a different.

I was originally looking at the old, rarely seen Dino 246 GT light blue steel color - I'm not sure if it is Blu Celeste Metallizatto or Azzurra Metallizatto since the (rare) cars I've seen look somewhere between the two. I like the 918 RSR color better, though.

Thanks for asking - I'm pretty excited and very hopeful.

Speedy
03-24-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm sure this color would look fantastic. Can't wait to hear how this all comes out, and see pictures!

stevecolletti
03-24-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm sure this color would look fantastic. Can't wait to hear how this all comes out, and see pictures!
Thanks, Speedy

I'll be sure to keep updating - supposedly, 6 months for PTS, though.

Speedy
03-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Wow - I thought my 4 month order wait was forever! I have no doubt your wait will be worth it though.

stevecolletti
03-31-2011, 07:37 PM
PAG denied my color.

That color is, apparently, being saved for the 918 Spyder due in more than 2 1/2 years time (Nov 2013).

Very disappointing and seems shortsighted to me, but it is their company.

Crocagator
03-31-2011, 07:51 PM
Ah...the art of marketing 101...

stevecolletti
03-31-2011, 08:00 PM
Ah...the art of marketing 101...
As if anyone will even know, much less remember 3 years from now when the few 918s sold go into bubble wrap storage, that a single Cayman was painted that color and has been driving the streets and tracks of America.

I'd have thought PAG would welcome it as a long-term test of the color in real-life use prior to putting it on a $900K car...

Gator Bite
03-31-2011, 08:05 PM
PAG denied my color.

That color is, apparently, being saved for the 918 Spyder due in more than 2 1/2 years time (Nov 2013).

Very disappointing and seems shortsighted to me, but it is their company.

That doesn't surprise me, for two reasons.

1. I would be surprised if they would let that color show up on any other car before they get it onto the 918 Spyder.

2. I bet they haven't actually formulated the paint yet. I'm sure the show car was a one off special mix of the stuff.

Crocagator
03-31-2011, 08:08 PM
It's the exclusivity of it all...they don't want their prime high rollers seeing a "common" Cayman S running around in the same color...that is what you get for $900K...LMAO...hey...I am sure you can get a color that is close to that (in my business of design we call that a "dye lot variation")and it would look just as dynamic...and exclusive to YOU!

stevecolletti
03-31-2011, 08:19 PM
It's the exclusivity of it all...they don't want their prime high rollers seeing a "common" Cayman S running around in the same color...that is what you get for $900K...LMAO...hey...I am sure you can get a color that is close to that (in my business of design we call that a "dye lot variation")and it would look just as dynamic...and exclusive to YOU!
Hey, that would have been an "uncommon"(ly expensive!) Cayman R.:smile:

It is still PAG who would be painting the car, and unlike Gulf blue, where your idea does work (I was told they no longer do it due to license issues), I'd be surprised (after this) if they'd do any color close to it.

The interesting thing is that this color was a modern interpretation of the Dino color that I was originally looking for.

stevecolletti
04-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Well, I tried to get several 1960/1970's blue/silver (or silver/blue?) colors in 'modern' paints, with no luck.

Then I moped (:frown:) for a while before ordering one 4/9 (July build) with all the same options in Platinum Silver.

So the waiting has begun in earnest.:cool2:

Gator Bite
04-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Well, I tried to get several 1960/1970's blue/silver (or silver/blue?) colors in 'modern' paints, with no luck.

Then I moped (:frown:) for a while before ordering one 4/9 (July build) with all the same options in Platinum Silver.

So the waiting has begun in earnest.:cool2:

Congratulation Steve.....!!!!

stevecolletti
04-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Congratulation Steve.....!!!!
Thanks, Mike. And thanks for all the help (including this site, its members and the resources on it).

Once I pickup the car, I'll post pics, since you don't have Platinum silver yet.

I can hardly wait to get back into a mid-engine Porsche!

stevecolletti
04-12-2013, 11:02 PM
I guess I'm not as upset about Porsche denying this color as I was...

Ed Merry
04-13-2013, 11:38 AM
I guess I'm not as upset about Porsche denying this color as I was...

The paint to sample at $83,000 is almost the cost of a Cayman R. But then if you can pay cash for a 918 spyder what is a mere $83K. Less than a 10% addition.

Sigh. For me my Aqua BLue Metallic is fine. Drive safe. Ed

stevecolletti
04-13-2013, 10:16 PM
No, it's only $63,000; $83,000 would be crazy!

Those nano-paint jobs always seem to go for around 7% of what the car's base price. Mercedes gets about $13K for Alubeam Silver. I wonder what makes them so difficult? and how do they hold up?