PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Prof. Dr. Ing. h.c. Ferdinand Porsche (Chance to win)

Gator Bite
08-20-2010, 07:38 AM
http://caymanregister.org/images/Porsche/FP_no1.jpgHelp celebrate Dr. Porsche's birthday

September 3rd is the birthday of Prof. Dr. Ing. h.c. Ferdinand Porsche. We all are in his debt for starting a little company that has turned out cars that have stroked the imagination and passion of several generations of fans.

We at the Cayman Register and PCA thought it would be nice to celebrate his birthday with a small contest and giveaway. Tell us in this thread what you would ask or say if you had the chance to sit down and have a (German) beer with the good Dr. Porsche.

So, if you would like to win one of three Cayman Register labeled hats (http://caymanregister.org/album.php?albumid=301&pictureid=3021), you have only a couple of weeks to enter. Winners will be picked at random from those who respond to this thread.

Contest ends midnight, EDT, September 4, 2010. Learn more about the Porsche History here (http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/porschehistory/milestones/).

Gator Bite
08-20-2010, 10:13 AM
I am taking myself out of the running to win this, but I really want to reply.

If I were able to share a beer with Dr. Porsche, I'd ask him what he thinks of the 918 Spyder. This design would have to be impressive and special to him, because it ties back to his very first electric powered buggy. Wow... How cool. And before he had too many of the fine German brews, I'd ask him to take me for a ride in that beast.

BradB
08-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Guten Tag! Ferdinand,

It's been a 100 or so years since we last spoke. It looks like a couple more of your original designs are being freshened up for the new year. Your Hybrid Race Car is getting ready to hit the tarmac again. Everyone is all excited about this 'green' approach - I'll explain later. So what do you think all the fuss is about?

And the newest Touring Car, they call it the Panamera, is a definite hit. I think you're ready for another shot at the Prince Henry Trial. But I'd love your design critique. Would you change anything, Ferdinand?

Auf Wiederschauen. See you at the lodge!

bretster
08-20-2010, 09:11 PM
I'd want to hoist a heffeweizen (or 3) and try to convince the good doctor to forego the 4 doors, stick with the sportscars, and race at the highest levels with factory teams.

Santa Fe
08-20-2010, 09:40 PM
I cannot enter but I'd not ask a question but say "do you know how many hundreds of thousands of dollars I've spent because of your little invention and that I don't regret a cent spent"!

Manny Alban
08-20-2010, 10:56 PM
I'd ask him "which model do you wish the executives at Porsche would've kept developing?"

mojoman
08-20-2010, 11:17 PM
As I'm having a Biermischgetränk with the good Doctor, I'd ask him which made him turn over in grave the most; the 928 or the Cayenne?

Send the hat!

ENGNR1
08-21-2010, 09:22 AM
I'd ask Dr P what he REALLY thought of the Karmann Ghia. :D

greycroc
08-22-2010, 12:15 AM
First I would thank him for starting a company that through their cars have brought great joy in my life. I would then ask him. If you developed a car (Cayman) that has the potential to surpass the performance of one of your other cars. Would you continue to develop it at the expense of out performing the car that made Porsche the company that it is today?

Crocagator
08-22-2010, 10:16 AM
If I had the opportunity to speak to the good Doctor, I would ask him what he thinks of his company today...did he envision it the way it is in it's current state...did it go in the direction he thought it would...would he be surprised that it still includes all of his original ideas of engineering, design and love of cars...

dbyker
08-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Is it pronounced "Porsh" or "Porsh-UH". :tongue:

Crocagator
08-22-2010, 09:29 PM
It is a family name...it is pronounced with two syllables Porsch-Uh...

Pcay60
08-23-2010, 07:39 AM
I would ask him to comment on the latest Porsche cars. What does he think of water-cooling? Have the cars become too technical? I would ask him to comment and compare engine location-specifically mid-engine versus rear engine.

The Chad
08-23-2010, 09:01 AM
I would not ask him anything I would just give him a big kiss for making the most amazing vehicles in the world! This car has changed my life in so many ways and it has given me the opportunity to meet so many cool people. Thanks to the Dr.

Chad

BGLeduc
08-23-2010, 11:02 AM
I would be shaking in my boots to simply be in the presence of the great man.

As Dr. Ing. h.c. Ferdinand Porsche has a reputation as one that does not suffer fools gladly, about the only thing that I think would be safe to let pass my lips would be "Thank you. Thank you for all the GREAT cars and a life long addiction".

Brian

L8Apx
08-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Happy Birthday Dr. Porsche! It is a pleasure to meet you and have the opportunity to share a beer. First, I must tell you that I am sorry that I did not become a Porsche fan until late in life. Although I have autocrossed and participated in track days as both a student and instructor for nearly a decade, I didn't know what I was missing! I absolutely love the Cayman. It's such a well balanced, easy to control chassis!

I'm curious to know what your thoughts are regarding the pros and cons of the rear engine verses mid-engine configurations. How would you guide the future Porsche product development in this regard?

(Pause for Dr. Porsche to respond...)
<GIVE part... next the moving before talk to time of plenty Porsche Dr.>

Porsche seems to be intent upon protecting the high-end, high-margin part of the product line by limiting the options, power and capabilities of the Cayman & Boxster mid-engined cars. Is this a sound decision that will stand the test of time?

(Pause again...)
<MORE time Dr. Porsche... for>

>>> Mike, while I would love to have a Cayman Register hat, I am far more interested in hearing Dr. Porsche's responses to these and other the questions posed. Since you appear to be very well connected with Porsche, perhaps you can actually arrange an interview, or should I say seance. Please share the responses with us. And give one of the hats for Dr. Porsche. :wink:

FTS
08-24-2010, 02:24 AM
This one is a very nice issue, with some photographs that I hadn't seen previously:

http://www.porscheengineering.com/filestore.aspx/default.pdf?pool=peg&type=download&id=press-magazine-2006-08-specialedition&lang=en&filetype=default&version=0

greycroc
08-24-2010, 10:13 AM
This one is a very nice issue, with some photographs that I hadn't seen previously:

http://www.porscheengineering.com/filestore.aspx/default.pdf?pool=peg&type=download&id=press-magazine-2006-08-specialedition&lang=en&filetype=default&version=0

Thanks for the link FTS. They must be a fan of the Cayman. They have a picture of the Cayman on the front page of the magazine and on home page.

http://www.porscheengineering.com/filestore.aspx/normal.jpg?pool=peg&type=image&id=home-xle&lang=de&filetype=normal&version=3

http://caymanregister.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7660&stc=1&d=1282659232

http://www.porscheengineering.com/filestore.aspx/default.pdf?pool=peg&type=download&id=press-magazine-2010-01&lang=en&filetype=default&version=1

FTS
08-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Yes, I think so too :) One of the 2005 issues had a special on the CS, cannot remember which though.

Bill-banger
08-24-2010, 05:15 PM
I would love the opportunity to talk with Dr. Porsche! I would ask him if ever in his wildest dreams he would have thought his little car company would become the most respected high-performance car maker in the world, and what his opinion was of the newest generation of Porsches, especially the Panamera.

sx797
08-24-2010, 08:34 PM
What else could I say but, thanks for laying the foundation for a company building the best handling cars on the planet...and the most beautifull!!!

Left Hander
08-25-2010, 06:19 AM
We would sit and start with a nice tall Pulaner HefeWeizen

my first Q would be - of all the cars you have created, which one would you most prefer to take on a spirited country drive just by yourself and why?

my next question would be to ask him how he felt about all of the business developments last year with porsche - vw/audi and what he thought the future impact on his legacy company would be.

Don

Black Widow
08-25-2010, 07:36 AM
Ferdinand,

Happy Birthday! Enclosed find two season tickets to the Cayman Interseries events here in the USA. I believe that after you see your magnificent machines painted in historical color schemes you will agree that these are truly race cars and will want to participate in the development and continued success of these events. The passion you see in the fans and the owners of Caymans should highlight what a wonderful automobile you have created. Can you image an international series? Enjoy your birthday.

Bob

Speedy
08-25-2010, 08:04 AM
I believe I would buy the gentleman a birthday beer and ask him to recount his life's story for me. What better way to get your questions answered than to listen and learn what shaped and drove the man through his life?

Badger1
08-26-2010, 02:10 PM
I would ask him his opinion on hybrid vs. internal combustion. I would want to know his thoughts on whether he believes it possible to remain true to the lineage of perfecting the sports car by following trendy business ideas of going green. My guess is he would respond that hybrid is not a new concept, but is similar to the electric car he introduced long ago. Then I think he would ask to see a 918 Spyder.

W0GuamlXoK8

tifosi360
08-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Happy B-Day!

gasman1
08-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks Dr. Porsche. My wife wants a reissued 356, please consider!

JMH
08-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Happy Birthday Dr. Porsche. I'd asked him for a private tour of the Porsche Museum and have him share his thoughts on each of the cars/bikes/tractors on display.

BackDoc
08-31-2010, 12:13 PM
My 2006 Cayman S is the 5th and nicest Porshe I have owned. My first car was a 1984 VW Scirocco. Then an 87 924S, sold to buy a 1974 911 and a 1987 951. I updated and restored those cars and moved them with me from NY to Myrtle Beach. After a while I aquired a 2000 Boxster. Last year I traded the Boxster, sold the 911 and 951 and paid off my 2006 Cayman S, the nicest P-Car I have owned to date! It's a way of life now...

gemars
08-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Happy Birthday and thank you for for contributions to motorsports, engineering, and to my personal enjoyment of driving!

TallyRich
08-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Happy birthday to the man who by following his dreams gave dreams and the opportunity to fulfull them to so many of us. We love our cars and the company behind them.

beez
08-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Folks - at the risk of being the "ants at the picnic" here, we would appreciate it if you would read the directions at the top of the thread. Quite honestly, we intended for people to use a little imagination in their responses as to what they would say, if able to sit and share a quiet [German] beer with Dr. Porsche.

Thanks,

jroesch
08-31-2010, 01:14 PM
From 1969 to 1971 I had the pleasure of touring the East Coast race tracks in my 356C. It was then that I saw the most beautiful car I've ever seen, the 904. After losing the 356C in a broken tow bar accident, I saw the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Now after kids, grandkids, and a wonderful life I saw the Cayman. It's as close to the 904 as I can get. I thank Dr. Porsche for starting it all.

silverback
08-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Back in 1981, I was fortunate to go to Stuttgart on a PCA Treffen and met Dr. Ferry and his wife at a dinner gala Porsche threw for us. He asked me what model I drove and his eyes lit up when I replied a '65 356C. A moment I will never forget! A very kind and gracious gentleman..........

PDQ PDK
08-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Dr. Porsche,
I am very pleased you were born and went in the direction in life that you did to give us toys to play with. I started out with Bugs (several) Bus (one was enough) and 5 Porsches (never enough). I would be alot richer if you were not born but much happier that you were. Happy Birthday.

JHE
08-31-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm surprised that my local Porsche dealer here in Germany is not having a HUGE party! Oh well, from all of us who are addicted to our Porsche cars, happy birthday to the man!

Cayman08
08-31-2010, 03:50 PM
What is more important? How we get to a destination or how we feel when we get there?

A good beer or a good drive how do you explain the difference?

Have a good one of each

cptkmn
08-31-2010, 03:59 PM
My question to the good Dr. Porsche, "If money had been no object in constructing your first cars, would you have made the very same car, or what modifications would we have seen, considering the technology available at that time."

mah
08-31-2010, 10:07 PM
I would ask the good Dr. that given the recent "Green" movement, would it be his intention to follow this movement or stick to his traditional race car values?

kptaylor
08-31-2010, 11:50 PM
We'd have a few dunkelweissens, then I'd ask him if he really thinks a rear-engined car is a better idea than a mid-engined car. ;)

iowa_hawk1
08-31-2010, 11:55 PM
I would ask him whether he thought a Cayman S with horsepower identical to any 911 in the inventory would be the 911's equal or it's superior.

sctrent
09-01-2010, 01:44 AM
Ferry,
Viel Glück zum Geburtstag! Seriously, rear versus mid engine performance, seriously.

Trent

oraad
09-01-2010, 02:03 AM
I would like to thank Dr. Porsche for every amazing second I spend in my Cayman S.

mjmagruder
09-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Woo Hoo!!! What a ride!!!
Happy birthday, Ferdie!!!

gto250us
09-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Since he does not suffer fools gladly, I would ask him to tell me what he really thinks about the Cayenne. :angry:

Flamin' Cayman
09-01-2010, 04:24 PM
I'd like to buy an alt bier for the Professor and thank him for starting a company that had the good sense to create a modern mid-enginer car that harkens back to Old Number 1.

Gorgeous swooping rear fenders that recall the 550 Spyder.

A body that's heavenly with an engine that goes like hell.

Danke für meine Cayman S.
<CITE> </CITE>

Frumkin
09-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I think I would thank him for designing a car that actually does everything right!

BillC
09-01-2010, 06:52 PM
The only question I can think to ask, that hasn't already been listed, is to describe Porsche's future plans, at least for the next 20 years or so.

Honestly, I can't think of any other questions that haven't already been listed. I'd probably ask a variation of most of them.

If the lack of an original question disqualifies me from this contest, that's okay.

CrocFan
09-01-2010, 11:17 PM
I would ask the good doctor how he feels about the advancement of technology and the impact it has on driving. Safety has improved with ABS, airbags, stability control just to name a few, which is definitely great for drivers but makes the car heavy. In the pursuit of faster times and more efficient use of power/fuel, more and more cars are being raced and sold with computerized clutches, which changes the driving experience significantly. In the end, the driver is becoming less and less connected with the car. Has technology ruined what driving is supposed to be about?

-Bang

'06 Cayman S, 6sp, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel, Guards Red/Blk int.

Chprsma
09-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Happy Birthday!!! My hat is off to Mr. Porsche andall the wonderful years he's given us of sheer pleasure.

whohnek
09-02-2010, 02:13 PM
I'd keep it simple: Happy birthday Dr., and thank you.

Santa Fe
09-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Well my random name selection program has done its mysterious work and the following lucky members are going to be wearing their new Cayman Register caps provided by PCA soon.

gemars
L8Apx
FTS

Congratulations! (make sure your address is correct so the postman can do his job)

Thanks from the team here at the Cayman Register for taking the time to enter and remember the founder of the company that has brought us such wonderful cars around which we have built many new friendships.

Gator Bite
09-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Contraguatlions winners. I am going to close this thread now, since the contest is over. If you'd like to discuss the contest, feel free to do so here (http://caymanregister.org/showthread.php?p=325156#post325156).