PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Porsche Parade

Gator Bite
03-09-2010, 10:13 AM
http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=198&pictureid=17962010 Porsche Parade - St. Charles

Parade is the “big” Porsche Club event of the year: our annual national convention. Parade has a potpourri of activities and club members from all across North America come together for this once a year extravaganza to participate in a week of competitive events, to socialize and enjoy their cars, with seminars and tours adding to the event’s variety. For many club members, Parade is their big vacation for the year. It provides them with an opportunity to see new parts of the country as well as to visit with PCA friends that they only see once a year, at Parade!

The term “Parade” evolved in August 1956, when 64 enthusiastic entrants gathered at a suburban Washington, D.C. motel for four days of Porsche enjoyment and friendship. A “parade” of Porsches through the countryside caused everyone to refer to the event as the Parade and the name has stuck. The current size of our convention makes a true parade of cars logistically difficult but we still do it when we can, and it is always a sight to see. Additionally, there are many other events to keep you occupied, please see the other pages in this section to get an idea of all the fun waiting for you.

Besides entrants, representatives from the Porsche factory in Stuttgart, and from Porsche Cars North America also attend, along with numerous automotive-related spokespeople. Porsche Panorama, the official magazine of PCA (and occasionally other national publications) publicize the event and the results.

Any member in good standing is welcome to attend the Parade and enter the four major competitive events. Along with them, CAFP and JPP members may also attend and compete in the four competitive events. CAFP (College Age Family Program) are children of members 18-24 years old. JPP (Junior Participate Program) are children of members who are 16-17 years old. Other immediate family members are also welcome and encouraged to attend, however they may not enter the four major events. Complete details on entrant eligibility may be found in the Parade Competition Rules.

Parades are typically held in the summer, and each year the Parade moves to a different part of the country. Locations range from downtown locales to remote resort areas. Each year is unique. If you would like to see a Parade in your local area, please contact the National Parade Committee Chair

The Parade is a full week of fun that contains everything great about PCA. Come out and enjoy the party!

2010 Porsche Parade Video:

yBkxG5JWOzk

The registration process is pretty comprehensive. There is so much to do. I'll be scouting this event for ideas, and we may have a few Cayman Register only benefits for members. More info to come soon.

I'm all signed up. This will be my first parade. I'm really looking forward to it. Who else is going?

Her987CS
03-09-2010, 10:20 AM
The Parade is a great event! His987CS and I are registered as well!

Kathleen

PistolPete
03-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Would love to go, but can't this year. Looking forward to your reports. It'll help us plan for the 2011 Parade in Killington!

gomarlins3
03-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Not this year, but maybe another.

The Chad
03-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Sorry guys,

It sounds fun and Im sure I will miss out on a good time. IL is not place on my bucket list and its over the 4th of July I will be sailing on the Chesapeake and eating crabs. :wink:

Chad

Speedy
03-09-2010, 02:51 PM
I had really hoped to make it this year as I have good friends in the Chicago area I have not seen in years, plus of course all the amazing things to do and see at Parade, but alas family obligations will not allow it.

Maybe next year... (sigh)

beez
03-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Unfortunately, this will be my first non-Parade year since 2002. I strongly encourage anyone who hasn't been to a Parade to do so... I love watching first-time Parade attendees be swallowed-up by all things Porsche (both he cars and the wonderful people who own them) for an entire week.

I met Mark and Kathleen (Her987CS & His987CS) at Keystone last year, and could tell they had an amazing time at their first Parade.

Go to Parade if you can - you will have a great time, and will make many new life-long friends just as I have.

Her987CS
03-11-2010, 08:03 AM
beez,

We are disappointed! Maybe the shining star is the already discussed possible meet point for the epic road trip next year to Killington. Or perhaps would you consider Porsche Escape 2010 in British Columbia in September?

Kathleen

Gator Bite
06-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Anyone headed to St. Charles....? Ina and I will be leaving Thursday, hoping to arrive by my day Friday. I'd love to meet some of my fellow Cayman Enthusiasts.

check 6
06-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Sandy and I are leaving early Thursday morning and will get their Friday afternoon. We have the Cayman half packed already. License plate almost matches the user name and we are staying at the Hilton across the street from Parade Hq. Look forward to meeting everyone Jack

Croc'ed
06-29-2010, 09:10 PM
I won't be attending this year's Parade. To those who are attending: Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Left Hander
06-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Hope you guys have a great time. Re-reading this thread I recall I thought Killington would be a beautiful venue for my first parade so I skipped Chicago.

Now that I know it will be in steamy savannah I am regretting not going to Chicago where I bet the weather will be pretty nice. Classic hindsight!

Gator Bite
06-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Poll reopened. If you're going, and you havent voted, go ahead and vote.

Retired-Teach
06-29-2010, 10:44 PM
You and Ina have a good time. I'd rather go and have a good time then seal my driveway, but ....:frown:

ENGNR1
06-29-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm originally from Chicago, so it would be nice to go, but I got family coming in and baseball tix on Sunday. Finally there will be one on the E Coast next year, so I'm looking to going then.

James Carrara White
06-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Anyone headed to St. Charles....? Ina and I will be leaving Thursday, hoping to arrive by my day Friday. I'd love to meet some of my fellow Cayman Enthusiasts.

Well ...
I could use some help staging cars very early Concours morning for an hour or two.
The Concours field design and Car Wash has fallen onto me this year.

My Cayman will be in the "Historic" section after winning last years Overall Preparation Award.
Stop by and say hello.

If CR members are interested, we can try to stage all the CR cars together in the Corral if you are not in the full Concours.

James

Gator Bite
06-30-2010, 12:08 AM
If CR members are interested, we can try to stage all the CR cars together in the Corral if you are not in the full Concours.

James

That would be awesome.

James Carrara White
06-30-2010, 12:11 AM
I'm car #37.
You can look me up in the directory.
See you and all the other CR members in St. Charles!

check 6
06-30-2010, 05:41 AM
I plan to put my white Croc in the corral

Her987CS
06-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Mark and I are flying out and arriving in Chicago around noon tomorrow (alas, via United rather than in either one of our CS's). In the directory, our entry is #98. We are both looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones! Gator Bite, it would be nice if a meet could be arranged for CR members sometime during the week. One possible thought is two of the banquets are "reserved" seating/tables for dinner, but a little coordination would need to be done before check-in on Saturday.

Kathleen

Gator Bite
06-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Can you tell me how to view 'the directory'?

Her987CS
06-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Gator,

When you check-in at Parade, you will receive a comprehensive "book" for the week. In that tome all of the entrants/attendees are listed by entry #, last name, region if it follows suit from last year. When Parade Registration opened in March and until June 23rd when it closed, one could view an entry list but not currently.

Her987CS

check 6
06-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Our number is 572. We arrive Friday afternoon. Sunday evening (Free night) I'm tied up with the Region Presidents reception and I understand the autocross dinner Thursday seating is by Zone. Hopefully there will be time during the week to have a Cayman Registry get together. Safe traveling all.

Crocagator
06-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Tried to make arrangements to go...work has just been overwhelming...traveling like crazy...I would have to take off too much time to go...heck, I can''t get to go to the other side of Staten Island to visit with Pistol Pete! :eek2: Hopefully if it is closer next year I will make a concerted effort to go...

MER58
07-01-2010, 11:12 AM
I will be there. My first Parade. Coming in Saturday but unfortunatley I have to get back to work and will be leaving Tuesday. Two other friends from St Louis will also be there in their Caymans. Hope to meet some of you there.

Keoni986
07-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Tried to make arrangements to go...work has just been overwhelming...traveling like crazy...I would have to take off too much time to go...heck, I can''t get to go to the other side of Staten Island to visit with Pistol Pete! :eek2: Hopefully if it is closer next year I will make a concerted effort to go...

FYI, next years Parade is in Savannah Georgia (at the end of July) and the 2012 Parade is in Salt Lake, UT.

Keoni986

Manny Alban
07-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Arrived late Thursday afternoon. The quality of cars in the indoor prep area is worthy of a musuem in itself. Phenomnel collection of 356's and early 911's. A very sweet Porsche Design Cayman S is being prepped to the max. Owner had all four wheels off and was thoroughly detailing the entire suspension.

check 6
07-02-2010, 04:52 AM
Sounds good, spent the night in Joplin MO and will be on the road shortly. Should get there early afternoon. For anyone still on the fence with PDK, besides all the good features for the track, I got well into the mid 30's mpg for the trip from San Antonio. Even in the mid to high 70's MPH on the OKLA turnpike still got 30 plus MPG. Great traveling car even if it is interesting for people two watch to seniors getting out of a Cayman with sport bucket seats. For anyone interested the sport buckets are very good for long distances even with my bad back. Drive safe for all those coming. We will be at the car wash area late today Jack

Gator Bite
07-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Ina and I left the house at 9:30pm last night. We drove through the night. Already covered 725 miles. 175 to go..... Getting excited.

Gator Bite
07-02-2010, 12:12 PM
We arrived in St. Charles at 9:40 AM and we already met a number of really cool people. We are dog tired, just waiting for our room to be ready so we can freshen up and take a little nap. We arrived earlier than expected. Going through PA last night, I think we may have gone back in time. I was expecting the ride to take 15 hours. We did it in 13 including breaks and fuel stops. Driving long distances in the Cayman is awesome. That's the most time I've spent in her at one sitting. Over 900 miles.

Left Hander
07-02-2010, 12:50 PM
wow nighttime roadtrip! harkens back to college days. Curious why the 9:30 PM departure?

i know what you mean about the long trip - I thoroughly enjoyed the 500 mile trip home with my boxster a couple of months ago. Was really a good way to get to know the car.

Gator Bite
07-02-2010, 02:42 PM
wow nighttime roadtrip! harkens back to college days. Curious why the 9:30 PM departure?

i know what you mean about the long trip - I thoroughly enjoyed the 500 mile trip home with my boxster a couple of months ago. Was really a good way to get to know the car.

Saving vacation time for track days..... :smile: We wanted to get here today, but would rather not add another vacation day and hotel stay. Also, you can't really get out of CT without hitting crazy traffic somewhere. So by leaving at 9:30, we were albe to run like bandits for 12 hours before we saw the first sign of conjestion (in Illinios). We really didn't hit any traffic at all.

Oh, by the way.... I've already seen 5 Caymans here....

Left Hander
07-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Saving vacation time for track days..... :smile:

smart man, now I see (and agree) the logic.

night drives are fun, traffic thins out, many of the crazies are off the road. Years ago pre-kid when I had a TR6 and than 300zx I used to enjoy night trips like that - seems driving wiht the truckers was a lot safer even in a small car then the yahoos in sedans.

BUT that was before I got a porshe and now I don't like to get my paint anywhere near all the crap the trucks throw up.

hope you have a great time, wish I had signed up !

check 6
07-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Arrived yesterday also but unlike Mike Sandy and I did not drive straight through. Car is cleaned from the trip and only damage were five closely aligned chips in the new windshield thanks to a falling object from an overpass in St Louis. At least it did not break through. Wonder if their is a chip repair place close by. I know my dealer is just going to love to put in another windshield when we get home. Anyway no one hurt. Lots and lots of outstanding cars and great friendly Porsche people as it should be at Parade. Look forward to meeting other Cayman Registry folks...... now off to detail the car Jack

The Chad
07-03-2010, 07:14 AM
You guys be safe and have a great time out there. I am looking forward to living the parade through you guys so lots of pics.

Chad

His987CS
07-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Kathleen and I got here on Thursday afternoon. Helped with registration/checkin setup all day yesterday and we are helping out with getting folks checked in today. Kathleen is working waivers and I am working goodie bag pickup. If you see us stop by and say hi. we would like to meet as many of you as we can while we are here.

Mark

Gator Bite
07-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Ina and I haven't taken any pictures yet. Today was fun, but it mostly consisted of registration and socializing. The festivities really kick off tonight at the Welcome Party, then tomorrow is the Concours and events follow throughout the week.

I did get to meet Check 6 and Crock-et Man.... I hope I get to spend more time with those guys, and I'm sure I will. I can't wait to meet His and Her 987c. :smile:

More to come soon...

check 6
07-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Last night was the welcome party, it was in a hanger at the Dupage airport. On display were great looking Porsches as well as some fantastic aircraft. Among the cars on display were two Cayman "interseries" cars, numbers 2 &3 the hippo and the martini cars. They are even better looking up close. Today, will be spent outside with the concours and the Porsche Corral. Mike and I are going to park our Caymans next to one another and hopefully get some other registry cars to join in. By the way if you have not seen the shirts Mike had made up with the Cayman Registry logo, you need to great job

So Parade continues and so far the weather has been good. Needless to say the camera will be kept "at the ready" today. Jack

Left Hander
07-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Mark & Kathleen - how far was the trip from OR; post a few details of the drive in, curious how it went and how many days.

Don

Gator Bite
07-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Wow.... Last night was almost overwhelming. At one point I was standing in line for food and I just looked around and could not believe that there were so many other people who enjoy Porsches like I do. Like Check 6 said, the welcome party was absolutely first class. I took some pictures and I will post them as soon as I get a chance.

Got to go....

beez
07-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Mark & Kathleen - how far was the trip from OR; post a few details of the drive in, curious how it went and how many days.

Don

Don - They told me they were flying to Parade this year...

His987CS
07-04-2010, 12:56 PM

Don

Don - They told me they were flying to Parade this year...

Don, Brad is correct, we did fly this year. We needed to arrive two days early to assist with check-in setup, and so we both were already looking at a fair chunk of time away from work. I suspect we may do the same thing for Savannah. We drove to Keystone last year and had a blast on the drive. I am looking forward to Parade moving closer to home so we can drive again.

Kathleen is working the Porsche Concierge today assisting with late check-ins and the volunteer sign-up. The Parade is all about the members making it work.

Mark

Left Hander
07-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Mark,

What was the process for volunteering, that sounds like someting I would want to do next year if the wife and I brave the heat! Was there a special sign up for this? Did you all pick what you were volunteering for?

Will be curious to hear the opinion of you all who went as to whether you think savannah in summeritme will be too hot. Wondering what the mix of indoor (AC) activities and outdoor (hot) will be. Really kicking myself for not going this year to Chicago.

BGLeduc
07-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Mark,

What was the process for volunteering, that sounds like someting I would want to do next year if the wife and I brave the heat! Was there a special sign up for this? Did you all pick what you were volunteering for?

Will be curious to hear the opinion of you all who went as to whether you think savannah in summeritme will be too hot. Wondering what the mix of indoor (AC) activities and outdoor (hot) will be. Really kicking myself for not going this year to Chicago.

I am not Mark, but there is a section of the online registration where you specify what areas you would like to volunteer for. And, IIRC, if you work two or more shifts, you can attend the volunteers brunch at the end of Parade where they hand out tons of door prizes. The organizers will take care of scheduling your shifts, and you can make it known if you are taking part in certain activities that may conflict.

My 1st Parade (San Diego), I did not volunteer, but did so in the last two (Charlotte and Keystone). Lots of fun, and you meet some very nice folks. Why, the family that drives down from Alaska every year bought me a hot dog while I was working the AX in Charlotte. Tough to beat that! :-)

I did not make it this year, but am considering Savannah, and will be in Salt Lake for sure.

Brian

beach987
07-04-2010, 10:43 PM

Savanna in August will be extremely HOT and HUMID. Even for those of us that live in that environment (read Florida) it will be uncomfortable. If you are from the north or midwest, think of January in the winter. It is like that but opposite.

However, although I have not been to Savanna, I have heard that it is beautiful and historic and the Westin is a very nice hotel. Hundreds of beautiful Porsches plus hundreds of great people should be more than enough to overcome the weather.

bretster
07-05-2010, 06:26 AM
I refuse to believe this event is actually taking place until I see some pictures!

His987CS
07-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Mark,

I am not Mark, but there is a section of the online registration where you specify what areas you would like to volunteer for. And, IIRC, if you work two or more shifts, you can attend the volunteers brunch at the end of Parade where they hand out tons of door prizes. The organizers will take care of scheduling your shifts, and you can make it known if you are taking part in certain activities that may conflict.

My 1st Parade (San Diego), I did not volunteer, but did so in the last two (Charlotte and Keystone). Lots of fun, and you meet some very nice folks. Why, the family that drives down from Alaska every year bought me a hot dog while I was working the AX in Charlotte. Tough to beat that! :-)

I did not make it this year, but am considering Savannah, and will be in Salt Lake for sure.

Brian

LH,

Brian covered the most of the details. You can volunteer for many different things, as all of the venues need people to help out. If you forget to sign-up when you register, you can sign-up on check-in day. Chuck and Judy Hervey (from the Oregon region) are the National Chair for the Volunteer committee and are always looking for folks to help out.

In addition to helping out with the registration/check-in process I will be working the AX venue this Parade. You get a very cool shirt for your efforts and as mentioned there is a volunteer staff party at the end of the week.

I met Check 6 yesterday at the Concours. His white CS is a sweet ride indeed. It is great to see so many beautiful Porsches in one place. John Takehara gets two big thumbs up for putting together such a fantastic event. Well done John.

Autocross, Rally, Tech Quiz, and lots of fun with lots of good people. I am looking forward to the rest of the week!

Mark

Gator Bite
07-07-2010, 06:55 AM
I refuse to believe this event is actually taking place until I see some pictures!

Welcome Party....

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=304&pictureid=3054

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=304&pictureid=3053

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=304&pictureid=3046

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=304&pictureid=3052

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=304&pictureid=3051

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=304&pictureid=3044

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=304&pictureid=3043

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=304&pictureid=3042

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=304&pictureid=3039

http://caymanregister.org/picture.php?albumid=304&pictureid=3040

More to come.....

Gator Bite
07-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Wow... What a cool day so far, and it plays right into the discussion.

Ina and I volunteered to work the autocross, morning shift (6:30 - 10:30 AM). When I signed up I thought I was doing it to lend a hand and contribute. As it turned out, working turn 2 at the auto-x was one of the most fun things I've done. I wish I signed up for a double shift, but Ina and I are taking a bus tour to Chicago today.

I've gotten to meet so many cool people. Killer Croc, Check 6, Crocket Man and today I got to meet Mark aka His987C. He was working the autocross too. What a nice guy. Now I just need to track down Her987C.

Wow.... The PCA is made up of some really first class people. I have met one person so far that I thought I could do without. Everyone else I meet has been super cool like a long lost friend.

Ina and I got to talk with Dr. Hans Peter Porsche, and all of the PCNA big wigs too. There is more to tell about this, but I have very little time right now. Standby for more.

"Yes Sweetie..... I'm coming....."

Gotta run guys, the wife is calling me to get ready.

James Carrara White
07-07-2010, 02:10 PM
From the Planes, Porsches and Kids Welcome Party ...

Gator Bite
07-07-2010, 02:21 PM
James,

That was your car at the hanger and the Concours, wasn't it. That Cayman is so freaking clean I was almost ready to junk mine. I would LOVE to learn how you got those wheels so clean, and the rest of the car too. My car has NEVER looked like that, even the day it was delivered to me. Awesome job man. I can see why you won last year.

Gator Bite
07-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Check my 2010 Parade Album for some pics.

Croc'ed
07-07-2010, 03:15 PM
James,

That was your car at the hanger and the Concours, wasn't it. That Cayman is so freaking clean I was almost ready to junk mine. I would LOVE to learn how you got those wheels so clean, and the rest of the car too. My car has NEVER looked like that, even the day it was delivered to me. Awesome job man. I can see why you won last year.

Don't junk it...just make it into your track toy!

James Carrara White
07-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Don't junk it...just make it into your track toy!

Thanks for the kind words ...
It's good to see the Caymans so well represented in St. Charles.
Quite a jump in Cayman participation from KeyStone.
There are some really spectacular Caymans in the Pheasant Run parking lot, and yours included.
These cars really draw attention from our long time members.

We are already making plans for Savannah!
And yes, the 2011 parade logo features a Cayman.

The Registry shirts in the Goodie Store are a bonus,
thanks for putting this all together.

See y'all in Savannah!

check 6
07-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Well the autocross is over and while I did not do well the Cayman was great. The setup was perfect. Better tires will male the difference. One gate was hard for these old eyes to see but still great fun. For those that decide to go next year do volunteer. I worked a double shift helping with the Mich Challenge and a double shift yesterday working the hot grid ... and it was hot BUT but great fun. Got to spend the whole day with Prescott Kelly Past President of PCA who was also sweating on the grid for 9 hours. This is the parade mentality "everyone works and everyone plays and today I played. You make great friends and have a time you will remember for ever. You have been warned... clean your cars, practice your rally and autocross skills and be ready for Parade 2011 More to follow with pictures

His987CS
07-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Wow... What a cool day so far, and it plays right into the discussion.

Ina and I volunteered to work the autocross, morning shift (6:30 - 10:30 AM). When I signed up I thought I was doing it to lend a hand and contribute. As it turned out, working turn 2 at the auto-x was one of the most fun things I've done. I wish I signed up for a double shift, but Ina and I are taking a bus tour to Chicago today.

I've gotten to meet so many cool people. Killer Croc, Check 6, Crocket Man and today I got to meet Mark aka His987C. He was working the autocross too. What a nice guy. Now I just need to track down Her987C.

Wow.... The PCA is made up of some really first class people. I have met one person so far that I thought I could do without. Everyone else I meet has been super cool like a long lost friend.

Ina and I got to talk with Dr. Hans Peter Porsche, and all of the PCNA big wigs too. There is more to tell about this, but I have very little time right now. Standby for more.

"Yes Sweetie..... I'm coming....."

Gotta run guys, the wife is calling me to get ready.

Mike it was great to finally meet both you and Ina today. That AX course was Off-The-Chain. On camber, off camber turns, two great slaloms, a Chicago Box (check here for a description).

http://racingready.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/beginning_autocross_clinic.pdf

Henry Hoeh did a fantastic job putting together an interesting and challanging course. My only regret is I did not have my car here to enjoy it. Mike, thanks for offering your keys but you paid the dues and made the drive and the honor was rightfully yours to enjoy. :wink:

Kathleen (Her987CS, don't forget the 'S' it means an extra gear and a few more ponies :grin:) is looking forward to meeting both you and Ina.

Parade is all about the folks that make it up. Real people that enjoy well-crafted cars and goods times. I have found that everyone in this club is very approachable.

Off to dinner and more fun with old and new friends.

Mark

BGLeduc
07-07-2010, 08:26 PM
One of my region buds who is at Parade emailed to say that Hans Peter drove a Boxster Spyder in the AX.

How cool is that!?!?!?

Brian

beez
07-07-2010, 11:09 PM
One of my region buds who is at Parade emailed to say that Hans Peter drove a Boxster Spyder in the AX.

How cool is that!?!?!?

Brian

That is incredibly cool!!!!!!!!!!

BGLeduc
07-07-2010, 11:18 PM
That is incredibly cool!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Brad! That was Liz Shaw who e-mailed that report.

She also reported that she won her AX class (S05 ladies)...she has a Cayman S now, purchased earlier this year.

Brian

beez
07-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Well the autocross is over and while I did not do well the Cayman was great. The setup was perfect. Better tires will male the difference. One gate was hard for these old eyes to see but still great fun. For those that decide to go next year do volunteer. I worked a double shift helping with the Mich Challenge and a double shift yesterday working the hot grid ... and it was hot BUT but great fun. Got to spend the whole day with Prescott Kelly Past President of PCA who was also sweating on the grid for 9 hours. This is the parade mentality "everyone works and everyone plays and today I played. You make great friends and have a time you will remember for ever. You have been warned... clean your cars, practice your rally and autocross skills and be ready for Parade 2011 More to follow with pictures

Prescott has worked the hot grid for at least the last three Parade AXs that I can remember. He's great - quietly enthusiastic, yet respectful of your space if you're trying to visualize the course in your head between runs - he can just look at you and tell what's going on in your head. Prescott is one of true gems of all the people I've met at all the Parades I've been to. In Keystone, I ran into him one morning in the breakfast cafe, and we chatted for 90 minutes... great guy.

Can anyone one tell us the standings for the Cayman classes?

beez
07-07-2010, 11:21 PM

She also reported that she won her AX class (S05 ladies)...she has a Cayman S now, purchased earlier this year.

Brian

Most excellent! Liz was one of my favorite people in CA... great that she got a CS... does she still have that beautiful 964? I hope so...

BGLeduc
07-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Most excellent! Liz was one of my favorite people in CA... great that she got a CS... does she still have that beautiful 964? I hope so...

Yup..still has it. Coincidentally, both she and I have 964's, and Cayman S's.

She started AX'ing the Cayman S this year. We had a bit of a joke about Parade. I sometimes instruct her, which usually means that there will be some places where I somewhat loudly remind her that she needs to spend more time with her right foot planted (scream therapy, we jokingly call it). She is often faster with my 200+ lbs of ballast in the car than without.

When she told me she won her class, I said "I guess you no longer need my instruction", to which she jokingly replied "Well, when I was on course, I was thinking to myself, where would Brian be yelling GAS!,GAS!,GAS! and FLOOR IT!, FLOOR IT!, FLOOR IT! ???.:smile:

Anyone, I was really happy to hear that she won her class. She was also recruited to be on the PCA National Parade Staff. She and another region buddy (Jo Irwin) were in charge of the Michelin Tire Test.

Brian

Croc'ed
07-08-2010, 12:11 AM
...That AX course was Off-The-Chain. On camber, off camber turns, two great slaloms, a Chicago Box (check here for a description).

http://racingready.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/beginning_autocross_clinic.pdf

Henry Hoeh did a fantastic job putting together an interesting and challanging course.... Mark

Henry is the person who recruited me into PCA after he saw me pull up to a softball field in my first-ever Porsche, a well-used 1987 944. Small world...great club...excellent people...who knew?

His987CS
07-08-2010, 08:15 AM

Lots of Parade pictures here;

http://www.pcasdr.org/news_dates/photos/index.php

Mark

Gator Bite
07-08-2010, 08:37 AM

How cool is that!?!?!?

Brian

Yup, he and the PAG/PCNA folks were working out those Spyders. And they were delivering great times. Can you imagine being an employee and beating Hans Peter's time. Ouch.... But from what I understand, Dr. Porsche was doing very well and setting a fast pace to follow.

Dr. Porsche is a super nice guy. I got to meet him at one of the dinner receptions. John and Roseann Novatnack introduced us to him. Next thing I know, Ina whips out her Cayman Register shirt and asks for an autograph. He gladly signed her shirt and my name badge. Later Ina got to talk with him in German. She says that he's 'soooo sweet' and just a normal guy. They were discussing the world cup, golf, fireworks, America, etc....

Well the auto-cross is over and while I did not do well the Cayman was great. The setup was perfect. Better tires will male the difference. One gate was hard for these old eyes to see but still great fun. For those that decide to go next year do volunteer. I worked a double shift helping with the Mich Challenge and a double shift yesterday working the hot grid ... and it was hot BUT but great fun. Got to spend the whole day with Prescott Kelly Past President of PCA who was also sweating on the grid for 9 hours. This is the parade mentality "everyone works and everyone plays and today I played. You make great friends and have a time you will remember for ever. You have been warned... clean your cars, practice your rally and auto-cross skills and be ready for Parade 2011 More to follow with pictures

Oh man, Ina and I were routing for you, sitting with your lovely wife Sandy. We only got to see your first two runs, then we had attend our bus tour to Chicago. We were so bummed to hear the DNF. How did the last 3 runs go. What kind of times did you get? The first two were in the 57/58s, which was nicely faster than many other cars.

Prescott has worked the hot grid for at least the last three Parade AXs that I can remember. He's great - quietly enthusiastic, yet respectful of your space if you're trying to visualize the course in your head between runs - he can just look at you and tell what's going on in your head. Prescott is one of true gems of all the people I've met at all the Parades I've been to. In Keystone, I ran into him one morning in the breakfast cafe, and we chatted for 90 minutes... great guy.

There are so many great people on the EC that it's really hard to pick a favorite. Prescott is certainly among my pick of favorites. I like that guy. He's fun, friendly, but yet he's firm and authoritative.

Prescott was going to take me to help him work the grid, until he found out that this was my first AX and that I was looking forward to seeing the action. He instantly said, "Then you want to work a flagging station. Henry, where can you put Mike and Ina....? This is their first Auto-cross" Ina is very fond of Prescott too. He's just a super great guy. Really, the whole EC is great. It's almost like being super cool is one of the job requirements. Manny, Kurt, Caren, Ruben, Prescott, Vu, I'd be happy to hang out with any one of them.

Brian

Oh, I must meet her..... I wonder how I can find her.

Henry is the person who recruited me into PCA after he saw me pull up to a softball field in my first-ever Porsche, a well-used 1987 944. Small world...great club...excellent people...who knew?

No kidding.... I got to talking with him because after walking the course with Caren Cooper's husband West, who was giving Ina and me an 'Auto Cross for Newbies lesson' (another SUPER nice guy), I had to ask Henry how in the world he put together a course like that. I was curious if he put it down on paper first, used a computer, etc... To my surprise, he told me that he walks the lot, visualizes it, sets it up on the pavement, then puts it on paper, tests and tweaks it.

Man, I have to tell you, I wish so badly that all of you guys were here with us. We would have so much fun. This week has just been so amazing.

Gator Bite
07-08-2010, 09:33 AM

I went to look, but the results haven't been posted yet. I'll keep my eye out.

Since we are talking about results, I need to tell a funny story. Ina and I participated in the TSD rallye. Well, I wish I could say we did well, but we mangled it. It was a super tricky rallye with a number of traps and tricks. I think we went off course on at least 4 legs. On two of them, we were driving for 10 minutes before realizing we messed up. So we had to double back twice and make up huge time. The tension was high. We didn't fight, but man were we dissapointed in ourselves. We just suck at TSDs. The only consolation in our mistakes was that while we were doubling back, we saw a lot of Porsches headed the other way, obviously making the same mistake we did. At first you laugh, thinking, "Ha ha.... Look, they did the same thing...." Then you double guess yourself and think, "Oh no, maybe we weren't off course...." Anyway, we just butchered that thing and we were just happy to finish.

So guess how we placed.....? We were 8th in our class (unequipped plus).... We actually got trophies..... :eek2: That means that only 7 people in our classs messed it up less than we did.... Unbelievable and rather entertaining.

Moral of the story. Don't be intimidated to try a TSD. No matter how bad you mess up, chances are there are a number of folks messing it up worse than you.

Budman
07-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Rallys can be the demise of an otherwise fine marriage. Years ago and pre Porsche, my wife and I had the misfortune of particpating in a couple with a previous Corvette owners club. What a disaster. If it wasn't for that "never hit a women" thing, I'm sure we'd have come to blows. Not only did we finish last of course, the club had finished dinner before we got back. They thought we went home. We didn't speak for weeks. Thank god it passed. For the sake of our relationship together, we swore off rallys forever. :rolleyes2:

beez
07-08-2010, 10:44 AM
You ran into the buzz saw called the "Parade TSD rally." They're notorious for being very tricky and hard...

James Carrara White
07-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Parade from the lens AutoWeek:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100706/CARNEWS/307069996

The Chad
07-08-2010, 04:40 PM
You guys are killing me I guess I will have to man up and go next year.

Chad

Gator Bite
07-08-2010, 06:06 PM
You guys are killing me I guess I will have to man up and go next year.

Chad

I didn't want to name names, but you and Casey are among the folks I really wish were here. We would have a BLAST together here....!

Gator Bite
07-08-2010, 06:20 PM
More pictures uploaded. I'm not going to put them all in this thread. Click this picture to go to the album and see them:

albumid=304&pictureid=3085

Or visit my Parade Album (http://caymanregister.org/album.php?albumid=304)

James Carrara White
07-08-2010, 07:33 PM
More pictures uploaded. I'm not going to put them all in this thread. Click this picture to go to the album and see them:

albumid=304&pictureid=3085

Or visit my Parade Album (http://caymanregister.org/album.php?albumid=304)

Thanks for the "37" pic of my Cayman ...
I'm glad you noticed the "Registry" on my car.
I was so busy, I did not have the chance to take a single Concours or Welcome Party photo.

bretster
07-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Lots of Parade pictures here;

http://www.pcasdr.org/news_dates/photos/index.php

Mark

I'm a believer!!!!

VeroBeachCayman
07-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks to all of you guys who have posted Parade pictures for everyone to view. I have got to go next year !

gonzo
07-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm really starting to regret not signing up for this.:cry: Now I just have to convince myself that Savannah won't be too hot and humid for next year's parade.

Speedy
07-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Now I just have to convince myself that Savannah won't be too hot and humid for next year's parade.

There will be no convincing - it will be FAR too hot and humid. That said, there may be something to stop me from going next year, but the weather won't be it! (It's just too close...)

Gator Bite
07-09-2010, 08:41 AM
There will be no convincing - it will be FAR too hot and humid. That said, there may be something to stop me from going next year, but the weather won't be it! (It's just too close...)

You know what....? I live in CT. This past week it's been high 90s to low 100s there, with blistering humidity. So staying home to miss hot and humid would probably be a futile effort for many of us.

James Carrara White
07-09-2010, 09:50 AM
You know what....? I live in CT. This past week it's been high 90s to low 100s there, with blistering humidity. So staying home to miss hot and humid would probably be a futile effort for many of us.

Exactly GB ...
It's supposed to be hot and humid ... it's summer.
Remember January?
We'll be begging for hot and humid.

And, the same concerns were once said of of the 2000 Sacramento Parade where the typical July temperature soars to a sunny 100.

The week of Parade ... mid 80's.

See you in Savannah ...

Speedy
07-09-2010, 12:09 PM
It's supposed to be hot and humid ... it's summer.

That's what I meant... :wink:

check 6
07-10-2010, 08:37 PM
We are halfway home and still talking about all the new friends we met. Mark and his wife joined us last night for the final dinner and it was a great evening. I had a special honor to chat privately for a short time with a real fan of PCA Hans Peter Porsche. What a gentleman. We will get home mid day tomorrow in time to unload and clean the car and MOW. South Texas has had rain. i will try and download my pictures next week. We had a great group from the Cayman Registry this year but it can be better next year. Let's plan for Savannah and make a statement. Hope everyone got home safely.

Santa Fe
07-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Perfect capture of what PCA membership is about. Thanks for saying it.

His987CS
07-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Kathleen and I got home yesterday afternoon and although it is good to be home we are already thinking about next year’s Parade. Last week in addition to renewing some old friendships we also made some new friends. Jack (aka check 6) and his wife are warm and interesting folks. We finally got to meet Mike and Ina and from Mike’s postings it sounds like he will be a frequent participant in upcoming Parades.

The week was filled with lots of fun exciting activities and opportunities to hear from knowledgeable insiders like Hans Peter Porsche, and Michael Cotton. Kathleen and I had the honor of sitting with Richard and Lisa Jackson of the Lone Star region who won this years Family of the Year award. They won it for giving disadvantaged children a leg up. One program they setup allowed the kids to rebuild old 944s. How cool is that!

Finally I want to tip my hat to my lovely wife Kathleen (aka Her987CS) who won First Place in the Tech Quiz category for 911 Carrera (996/997), Boxster and Cayman (986/987). She has obviously been reading her Owners Manual.

Mark

Manny Alban
07-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Glad to hear so many folks had a great time. This was my 15th Parade and I hope to be one of those folks still standing at the Concours banquet when they get to 40 or so Parades attended. A week flies by when you're having fun with Porsche friends. Savannah will be alot of fun. It'll also be the first time my oldest son will be able to autocross.

Last year Peter Porsche couldn't attend, so having him this year was special. Very surreal when the guy whose last name is on your car is sitting at the bar telling you stories about how he got pulled over by the Police at Parade years ago.

Just as a fyi tidbit, Peter Porsche attended the DE at Authobahn on Friday. He had the choice of a 997 or Cayman S.....he chose the Cayman S. Drove for almost an hour on the track. Gotta love that enthusiasm.

Gator Bite
07-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Kathleen and I got home yesterday afternoon and although it is good to be home we are already thinking about next year’s Parade. Last week in addition to renewing some old friendships we also made some new friends. Jack (aka check 6) and his wife are warm and interesting folks. We finally got to meet Mike and Ina and from Mike’s postings it sounds like he will be a frequent participant in upcoming Parades.

The week was filled with lots of fun exciting activities and opportunities to hear from knowledgeable insiders like Hans Peter Porsche, and Michael Cotton. Kathleen and I had the honor of sitting with Richard and Lisa Jackson of the Lone Star region who won this years Family of the Year award. They won it for giving disadvantaged children a leg up. One program they setup allowed the kids to rebuild old 944s. How cool is that!

Finally I want to tip my hat to my lovely wife Kathleen (aka Her987CS) who won First Place in the Tech Quiz category for 911 Carrera (996/997), Boxster and Cayman (986/987). She has obviously been reading her Owners Manual.

Mark

It was great to meet you and Kathleen. It's amazing how fully packed each day is. I wish we could have found some more time to get to know each other. Manny had asked me this year if I'd like to plan something for the Cayman Register folks. Never having been to a Parade, I honestly couldn't imagine what to do. Now that we have one under our belt, Ina and I have several ideas for next year.

We are halfway home and still talking about all the new friends we met. Mark and his wife joined us last night for the final dinner and it was a great evening. I had a special honor to chat privately for a short time with a real fan of PCA Hans Peter Porsche. What a gentleman. We will get home mid day tomorrow in time to unload and clean the car and MOW. South Texas has had rain. i will try and download my pictures next week. We had a great group from the Cayman Registry this year but it can be better next year. Let's plan for Savannah and make a statement. Hope everyone got home safely.

Jack, it was so great to get to meet you and your lovely wife Sandy. You're my kind of guy. Passionate, no nonsense, hard working and fun...! (Jack worked 3 double volunteer shifts, just because it needed to be done... And he worked them like a maniac...) I look forward to seeing you both again. Send our best regards to Sandy.

Glad to hear so many folks had a great time. This was my 15th Parade and I hope to be one of those folks still standing at the Concours banquet when they get to 40 or so Parades attended. A week flies by when you're having fun with Porsche friends. Savannah will be alot of fun. It'll also be the first time my oldest son will be able to autocross.

Last year Peter Porsche couldn't attend, so having him this year was special. Very surreal when the guy whose last name is on your car is sitting at the bar telling you stories about how he got pulled over by the Police at Parade years ago.

Just as a fyi tidbit, Peter Porsche attended the DE at Authobahn on Friday. He had the choice of a 997 or Cayman S.....he chose the Cayman S. Drove for almost an hour on the track. Gotta love that enthusiasm.

Now how cool is that.... Gosh, I wish I could have gotten a picture of him climbing in or out of that thing. If anyone has one, pleeeeeeaaase share it with us.

Manny, thank you so much for all that you and Roxanne did to make Ina and I feel comfortable on our first parade. You and the entire EC set such an incredible example for all of us. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...!

Gator Bite
07-11-2010, 11:07 AM

Missed this one...

Ina and I made it home in 14 hours. That's an hour longer than it took us to get to St. Charles, mostly because our nav took us a different way home that took us into Chicago then out. Plus, we drove home during the day, so there was no way we would be able to duplicate the pace we were able to sustain from 1:00-4:00 AM on the way out.

Peter Porsche is an amazingly approachable guy. I feel privledged and honored to get to meet him, as I'm sure you do.

There were a lot of Caymans in attendance. Some were CR members, many were not. I did some soft recruiting and I hope those folks will join us. I'd like to organize a group for next year's Concours Corral. Imagine what a cool statement it would make if we had a whole row of Caymans parked together? That would be cool, wouldn't it? As we approach next year, I hope, no I know I will be able to count on you Jack to help represent the Cayman Register. Thanks for all you did this year. You were an awesome advocate and spokesman for all of us.

JSF101
07-11-2010, 12:14 PM
I think you can count a whole row and then some!
If it wasn't for my dad's 80th birthday party, I would have been there with Jack.
We're already at work on a Texas contingent for next year.

I'd like to organize a group for next year's Concours Corral. Imagine what a cool statement it would make if we had a whole row of Caymans parked together? That would be cool, wouldn't it? As we approach next year, I hope, no I know I will be able to count on you Jack to help represent the Cayman Register. Thanks for all you did this year. You were an awesome advocate and spokesman for all of us.

Eena
07-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks to all of you guys who have posted Parade pictures for everyone to view. I have got to go next year !

I have to say, when Mike told me that we're going on a 1+ week Porsche event, I was thinking to myself "Oh boy, how am I going to survive that.... 1 week of Porsche / car talk, I don't know if I can handle it..." . After "surviving" it, I have to say that I am VERY glad we went. We met so many nice people, did a lot of cool and interesting things and saw a lot of awesome cars. We made it through our first TSD and came in 8th after messing up big time twice, I got to drive 2 Boxter Spyders with different Michelin tires (it was a PS2 and Sport Cups comparison) - Mike, did I mention that I REALLY like that car....!!!!! :wink: - and I experienced my first Autocross event. Just watching it as a volunteer and getting an idea of what this sport is about, made me decide to sign up for my first AX.

To top everything off, I met Hans Peter Porsche, talked to him a little bit in German about the Soccer World Cup and the "Crazy Americans" :wink: and had dinner with one of the PCA Founders, Eugene Bussian.

As someone who is not as car / Porsche crazy as most people on this website, I have to say that if you have any doubt whether or not you should drive all the way to hot Savannah next year, just do it and sign up. I am telling you, once you do your first parade, you are looking forward to the next one.

It is nice to put some faces with the screen names on this website. And, although we had a lot more Caymans at the Parade this year, we definitely want to top that next year.

To sum it up, as a +1, I was very impressed and I was not bored at all. On the contrary, I had a great time.

Eena
07-11-2010, 03:56 PM

I'd like to say "THANK YOU" or "DANKE SCHŐN" to the entire EC. You guys made us feel very welcome!!! It felt like being part of a huge family. I am looking forward to seeing everyone next year in Savannah!!!! Oh, and West, consider yourself personally responsible for getting me interested in AX :wink:.

mosborn78108
07-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Go to PCA site, they have the Facebook St Charles link. BTW, my 1st Parade was San Diego--had a blast

Keoni986
07-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Now how cool is that.... Gosh, I wish I could have gotten a picture of him climbing in or out of that thing. If anyone has one, pleeeeeeaaase share it with us.

Mike, I'll check with some people to see if any are available.

John

Gator Bite
07-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Autocross Results posted here: http://parade2010.pca.org/results_autocross.html

Here are the classes in which the Caymans could run:

S04 - Showroom Stock - Boxster and Cayman 987 (2005 and on)
1 471A Jon F. Setina 07 Cayman Silver 60.756
2 38A Mark S. Prusynski 07 Cayman Carmon Red 61.302

S04L - Ladies
1 471B Renee Setina 07 Cayman Silver 68.002

S05 - Showroom Stock - Boxster S and Cayman S 987 (2005 and on)
1 541A Brian J. Wodarski 08 Boxster S Meteor 59.459
2 479A Rush C. Pond 06 Boxster S Silver 60.497
3 581A Tim Drummer 06 Cayman S Seal Grey 60.760
4 53A Larry Adams 07 Cayman S Meteor Gray 61.911
5 303A Serge Gravel 08 Cayman S Atlas Grey 62.655
6 480A Paul D. Webb 06 CaymanS Artic SIlver 62.694
7 373A Fred J. Stubbs 09 987 S Silver 63.051
8 202A Earl Roe 08 Cayman S Ruby Red 64.669
9 524A Christopher D. Williams 08 Cayman S Midnight Blue Metallic 65.444
10 297A Steven W. Reyna 06 Boxster S Blue 68.587
11 253A Fred Sears 06 Cayman S Speed Yellow 69.224
12 80A William G. Cooper 08 Cayman S Black DNS

S05L - Ladies
1 31A Liz Shaw 06 Cayman S Carmona Red 61.929
2 253B Judy Sears 06 Cayman S Speed Yellow 68.803
3 446B Fran Lumpkin 09 Boxster S Porsche Racing Green 69.176
4 524B Mary Williams 08 Cayman S Midnight Blue Metallic 80.713
5 80B Debbie Cooper 08 Cayman S Black DNS

P14 - 986 Boxster S; 987 Boxster; Cayman
1 256B Michael Gallagher 02 Boxster S Silver 56.700
2 405A Mike Gray 01 Boxster S Blue 58.738
3 382A Doug Bradley 01 Boxster S Blue 59.348
4 70A William H. Browne 03 Boxster S Red 61.242
5 572A Jack Merrell 10 Cayman White 62.354
6 381A Carl W. Armand 00 Boxster S Silver 62.819

P14L - Ladies
1 256A Shannon P. Gallagher 02 Boxster S Silver 58.562

P15 - 987 Boxster S; Cayman S
1 404A Grant Davis 06 Cayman S Basalt Black 55.754
2 92A Jim Becker 06 987 Carmon Red Metallic 60.259
3 37A James Jacisin 07 Cayman S Carrera White DNS

P15L - Ladies
1 92B Margery Becker 06 987 Carmon Red Metallic 64.866

Keoni986
07-14-2010, 06:00 AM
Here is a link on the NYTimes article on Parade:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/porsches-come-from-far-and-wide-for-clubs-annual-meet/

Speedy
07-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Here is a link on the NYTimes article on Parade:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/porsches-come-from-far-and-wide-for-clubs-annual-meet/

There is some nice press in this article for our local Road Scholars folks, who deal in very high-end restorations. They are also related to one of the most amazing collections of vintage Porsches in the country located over in Durham.

I'm sure they'll be out in force next year in Savannah. Just another reason to go! :smile:

87turbolook911
07-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Parade Rallys are also a great way to test your marriage ;)

Santa Fe
07-14-2010, 03:00 PM
A picture is worth 10 zillion words!

Gator Bite
07-14-2010, 03:49 PM
OK, I'm exercising my 5th amendment right...... :wink:

Croc'ed
07-14-2010, 03:53 PM

That photo is priceless! :grin:
Gator Bite...you are very smart to have taken the navigator's seat!

Gator Bite
07-14-2010, 03:55 PM

Oh yeah..... You know it..... :smile:

Eena
07-14-2010, 07:55 PM

This picture is just awesome!!! I am still laughing!!!! I tried to keep a straight face but couldn't... :smile:

He didn't really have a choice :smile: - when I heard the word "math / calculating" in our Rally School, I immediately told him: "I am driving, you are navigating!!"

Gator Bite
07-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Caught in the act I guess..... :smile:

OK, so imagine this. Vu and Manny are hanging at the first checkpoint, and suddenly they hear a car approaching from behind and they hear some yelling coming out of it. They spin around real quick.... They see and hear......

"Ina.... WTF...!!! No..! No...! Listen to me.....!"

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4794103986_954dcdb4f0.jpg

"Look...... When I say go f----g left,......!!!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4122/4794104546_83e8734b6d.jpg

"You go left.......!!!"

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4793470523_76c87ebefc.jpg

"Is that so freaking hard....?!? Do you actually WANT to lose...?!?"

OK, so now a little back story.

Ina and I just blew the last turn on leg 1. We were doing pretty good up until that turn, but we missed it. So we double back real fast, get back on track and Bamn....! There's the first check point. We pull in, get our instructions for how to proceed and we continue around the parking lot. I'm definitely disappointed we missed the turn, but oh well. As we round the corner, I see we're coming up behind Vu and Manny who are looking the other way.... :smile: So I tell Ina, "Quick, quick, roll the windows down... Don't say anything... Just play along..."

As soon as we get in ear shot, I start ripping into Ina, yelling as loud and with as much frustration as I can muster. Manny and Vu snap around and look right at us with that look in their face like, "Oh shoot....!" I proceed to rip into Ina as I'm flailing my arms. I had those guys for a second or two, but Ina couldn't wipe that darn grin off her face.... So they saw through our little gag and started laughing..... :grin:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4793470009_5925a6c8dd.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4793469307_5b63dd32b1.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4094/4794102132_4687093d2a.jpg

Thanks for the great shots Vu...! You da man...!! :wink: I only wish I had one of Manny's face when he first turned around.... Oh man, that was priceless.

Disclaimer: No actual wives, husbands, Porsches, Vice Presidents, Executive Directors or feelings were hurt during the filming of these events.... biggrin

Keoni986
07-14-2010, 09:27 PM
To top everything off, I met Hans Peter Porsche, talked to him a little bit in German about the Soccer World Cup and the "Crazy Americans" :wink:

Hey, who introduced you to Hans??? We can't forget Rose Ann!

Keoni986

Left Hander
07-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Gator that story is hilarious, I was laughing out loud and then shared such a great story with my wife. I can't believe with that happening so fast Vu whipped out his camera - must have figured he'd need it for the incident report!

Eena
07-15-2010, 07:47 AM

Keoni986

How could I! That was really nice of her.

Gator Bite
07-15-2010, 08:54 AM

Keoni986

I thought I had posted that, maybe not. But yes, that was sureal.... Thank you to Rose Ann and John for that....

So Ina and I are at the President's Reception, mingling with lots of high quality people and suddenly Rose Ann grabs me by the arm and drags me off. Next thing I know, we're hanging with Peter Porsche. I asked him if he'd sign my name badge and he didn't even hesitate.... Then Ina whips out a white never worn Cayman Register Polo Shirt that I bought her, and he signs that..... How freaking cool....?!

I don't get star struck... That's just not me. But seeing Peter Porsche signing my name tag almost freaked me out...

Thanks guys...!!

greycroc
07-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Caught in the act I guess..... :smile:

OK, so imagine this. Vu and Manny are hanging at the first checkpoint, and suddenly they hear a car approaching from behind and they hear some yelling coming out of it. They spin around real quick.... They see and hear......

"Ina.... WTF...!!! No..! No...! Listen to me.....!"

"Look...... When I say go f----g left,......!!!

"You go left.......!!!"

"Is that so freaking hard....?!? Do you actually WANT to lose...?!?"

OK, so now a little back story.

Ina and I just blew the last turn on leg 1. We were doing pretty good up until that turn, but we missed it. So we double back real fast, get back on track and Bamn....! There's the first check point. We pull in, get our instructions for how to proceed and we continue around the parking lot. I'm definitely disappointed we missed the turn, but oh well. As we round the corner, I see we're coming up behind Vu and Manny who are looking the other way.... :smile: So I tell Ina, "Quick, quick, roll the windows down... Don't say anything... Just play along..."

As soon as we get in ear shot, I start ripping into Ina, yelling as loud and with as much frustration as I can muster. Manny and Vu snap around and look right at us with that look in their face like, "Oh shoot....!" I proceed to rip into Ina as I'm flailing my arms. I had those guys for a second or two, but Ina couldn't wipe that darn grin off her face.... So they saw through our little gag and started laughing..... :grin:

Thanks for the great shots Vu...! You da man...!! :wink: I only wish I had one of Manny's face when he first turned around.... Oh man, that was priceless.

Disclaimer: No actual wives, husbands, Porsches, Vice Presidents, Executive Directors or feelings were hurt during the filming of these events.... biggrin

I know there's a VISA priceless moment in there somewhere http://us.personalcard.net/allaboutme/designer/pcs/getpublicdesign.aspx?handoverkey=116b1d12-6573-4e5c-aca5-8a68e2f51fc1&cardimageid=3fjuofxc2 (http://www.cardpartner.com/app/submit/3fjuofxc2)

check 6
07-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Mike ..... and now you know why Sandy and I have not done a TSD siince 1974 (yes they had cars back then) After about an hour or so I grabbed the instructions from her, wadded them up and threw them out the window. We then headed to a bar. Our marriage is now 43 years and counting and we will not rally.

Gator Bite
07-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Mike ..... and now you know why Sandy and I have not done a TSD siince 1974 (yes they had cars back then) After about an hour or so I grabbed the instructions from her, wadded them up and threw them out the window. We then headed to a bar. Our marriage is now 43 years and counting and we will not rally.

Holy cow... Oh man did this make me laugh, because I can so see you doing this. I can't say I wasn't tempted to do the same thing.... Man, a TSD can really work your nerves. Ina and I were definitely very frustrated more than a couple of times. She's a saint for putting up with me when I get grumpy. I'm lucky to have her.

We went into the TSD expecting it to be real frustrating. I told Ina, "Look, this is going to get real aggravating. Let's not fight... We can do this..." Even so, there were still a few moments of real tension.

This one made me laugh like heck too. I don't mean to laugh at anyone's misfortune, but if you've done a TSD, you can't help but find comfort in knowing you're not the only one.

Rallys can be the demise of an otherwise fine marriage. Years ago and pre Porsche, my wife and I had the misfortune of particpating in a couple with a previous Corvette owners club. What a disaster. If it wasn't for that "never hit a women" thing, I'm sure we'd have come to blows. Not only did we finish last of course, the club had finished dinner before we got back. They thought we went home. We didn't speak for weeks. Thank god it passed. For the sake of our relationship together, we swore off rallys forever. :rolleyes2:

Keoni986
07-15-2010, 01:06 PM

Mike, I checked around and didn't see any with Hans Peter zooming around. You might want to try asking Leonard. He is always everywhere!!!

Keoni986

The Chad
07-17-2010, 10:48 AM
I didn't want to name names, but you and Casey are among the folks I really wish were here. We would have a BLAST together here....!

I know I Know We messed up by not signing up NEXT YEAR!

Chad

The Chad
07-17-2010, 10:53 AM

Classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://caymanregister.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7599&d=1279133103

Great shot Vu!

Crocagator
07-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Man...that is one GREAT pic...priceless...I can't stop laughing....